May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Replacement, cable, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 890 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,386
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My best has been a Coggie double square bridge Mauser in 318.
That first season with it, due to work I could only hunt the opening weekend(7-10 days?) - opening weekend rained, and rained hard two days straight - the rifle never got out of it's case and I never went back for my buck. The rifle sat for a whole year.
The next year stuff came-up, and could only manage a day or two in the deer woods - this handsome and pricey rifle had become a dust collector in my cabinet. Never again will I put big money into a deer rifle...times are short and your at the mercy of the elements. My rifles now are 22lr and 17Hmr, and as a landowner I can hunt these durning deer season - so who knows!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, I didn't know that any rimfire was legal anywhere to hunt deer, landowner or otherwise. Now when all is said and done, don't you think you should have taken the Mauser hunting?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not the rifle's fault Lowell - you chose not to use it. Let it get wet, clean it, put it away 'til next time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell,
All guns are a tool.Master craftsmen have work hardened tools, tools that show the years of wear and the occassional adjustment to make them function a little more efficiently.Your Coggie is not a gun or a tool at the moment.It is a collectors piece and not a very desirable one at that.Get out and use it, you will enjoy the moments and this is not your apprenticeship, it is your life.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you are wrong about this,Lowell. First, pride in the weapon you're hunting with is a lot of the joy of hunting. Otherwise, there would be no need whatever for this forum.

Second, why on earth would you even think about using the little rifles on your deer. Sure, they'll kill'em, but not well and not responsibly, and not with the honor the game deserves.

Oh well, your land and your choice I suppose...Geo

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun.

RPr Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Few of my guns sit idle, they are either punching hole in critters or paper/clay birds.

That said, many people own high end guns just for pride of ownership or something nice to fondle.

To each his own,

Sidelock
Sidelock

A thutty-thutty is about $200; people will almost give you a sporterized '03. With all the milsurp calibers out there, shotgun slug season, and bowhunting, there must be something big enuf to do the job and cheap enuf to welcome getting wet. You should also be AWOL from work to do it right. And there are guys who have deer-hunted thru more divorce proceedings, layoffs, and similar disasters than you'd care to contemplate. Maybe you're not really a deer hunter?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I said it before, thats like being married to Sela Ward and not doing anything with her for fear of messing up her hair!!!!!

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know these scopeless double sq. bridge Mausers. They're next to useless especially in caliber for which ammo is available from odd ammo makers like Wolfgang Romney,.....They're like cup of coffee from Starbuck's that has long Italian-sounding name. Real deer hunters don't use stuff like that.
If you want classic vintage rifle buy still affordable ole' Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6,5x54 or Savage 99 in .250-3000. Both will come with beautiful rotary magazine.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.