April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jtplumb, graybeardtmm3, fullandfuller, Argo44, Jolly Bill, 1 invisible), 385 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,799
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Inspection of these Reilly tubes has me suspecting the left one may have been replaced.
While I was aware of the differing Damascus patterns initially, closer inspection has revealed the following:

-the font of the serial numbers and some of the proof marks is different

-the general fit of the left tube to the lumps is not as good as the right,

-the left tube appears to have been soldered to the lumps rather than brazed like the right.

If this is indeed a replacement I suspect it was done shortly after the gun was made,possibly by Reilly themselves.
It appears to be a good job in general, and other than the different patterns it is undetectable on the closed gun.

Was this a common practice and could they simply resubmit the gun to have only the one barrel undergo definitive proof?

Cheers,

GDU

Sidelock
Sidelock

It certainly looks as though it has been replaced. The numbers are stamped with a different tool and the Damascus patterns are obviously different - to say nothing of the poor jointing job.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think Reilly's did that. I agree that it is an old fix.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes you are more than likely right,Reilly would have done a better job.
That one photo does accentuate the fitting however,with the extractor in place everything else looks as it should.
The barrels ring beautifully and are bright and free from any pitting.The fact that one was only soldered to the lumps did give me pause,but if its given no problems for 100 odd years its not likely to now.

I have to say, I really was not aware replacing a whole tube was a practice back in the day,I have never seen or read anything like it before.
How common was it?

Any ideas as to the date of this gun?
The address is given as 277 oxford street.
I am picking around 1900 but it could be earlier.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boothroyd says he moved from 277 Oxford Street in April 1903. He doesn't say when he moved in. Brown says he moved in in 1899.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,

A number of mis-matched damascus tubes are around. The speculation is always that one was replaced. I have a Lefever with matching damascus tubes, but the serial numbers are different. A possible replacement. I think it was more common than we might imagine. Damascus is very easy to damage from a direct blow. It does not dent like fluid steel.

Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.