April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ken Nelson, ClapperZapper, Chad Linder, 3 invisible), 1,001 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,237
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
steve f Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If you were in the market for an LC Smith, would you consider this one? Is it worth $2K, which is the buy-it-now price, in your opinion?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=113050953

Sidelock
Sidelock

Am I the only one who feels the forend wood on this gun is not original? I don't have my Brophy books handy and can't recall if the Ideal was even offered with a beavertail forend, but even if it was, this one doesn't look quite right. The color of the finish, the inletting... especially around the latch, and the chisel parings in the barrel channels do not look like the forends on any of my L. C.'s. I have noticed through the years that the case seems to fade more on Ideal grades than other grades even though that makes no sense to me. It does have auto ejectors that the seller fails to mention, but I would still rather bid closer to the starting bid than diving in for the 2K buy it now price. I note that there are zero bids at this point. As a reference, I recently bought a 12 Ga. Ideal with D.T., pistol grip, A.E., very nice wood, and about 70% fading case colors for $800.00, which I thought was a good buy.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a shooter 2k would be top-end for me. If the gun was as advertised and I had to have it I would not feel taken advantage of. But right now it's a buyer's market for guns like this so start lower. IMO The wood has been replaced, or it's a very good redo job. Ask lots of questions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the wood has been replaced.

This Ithaca he has looks pretty nice, though:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=113110934

I wonder if the bbl length is original.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

No and No.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice looking "elsie". In my opinion the stock and forend are original. Both would have been options for this gun and to tell if original you would have to loosen the two screws in the trigger guard and swing it out of the way and the serial number should be there. Also if you remove the metal from the forend the serial number should be on the end. Wood matches fairly close and that syle of beavertail looks correct. Screws are a little buggered. Should have London Steel barrels.
With the options of the Hunter One-Trigger, ejectors, straight stock and beavertail forend plus ivory sights, 2k is right. Good case color, screws not buggered and now you are closer to 3k.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore and I agree.
The forend shape is not correct and all the furniture has been replaced. I've never seen or owned an original Ideal with that quality of wood.
Now that I look at it again, the checkering pattern is wrong, also.

Last edited by Laxcoach; 10/15/08 09:00 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally, this gun would hold no interest for me at that price; a rather common Ideal grade with replaced wood and no case color? I suggest you keep looking, as there are still deals to be had for the patient; to illustrate, a friend of mine purchased a really nice 3E 20-bore ejector (much, much rarer and more desireable gun) that has seen very little use for $3K last week.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the barrels on it and the Ithica he is selling have been reblued.The trigger guard on the elsie has been reblued I"m sure.Stock refinish on both.Note on Elsie the barrel and trigger guard great blue but forearm iron no blue except banjo.All that said I would be glad to own both of his guns but not at those prices.Then again a Huglu can cost two grand and it wouldn't be equal to either of those guns.JMHO

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I was beset by the urge for both shooter and "injured innocence" (orginalitis) I'd go for the Fluesie. Don't have to open the chokes. Wonder if this jaycat feller has any connection to the J. Schacter that was all over the place with sheeny Fox "updates" a few yrs. ago?

jack

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.