Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rrrgcy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

(Sheepishly: Yeah, i did it). I'm New to the forums & have been considering much about relative merits to originality. I duly appreciate originality in these (as in things like antique furnture or anything collectible), but there are limits and the grey lines in my head committed me to what you see in these pics. Here'r some before-after. I want to learn of and consider as many perspectives as possible on this because in the future I will surely face similar decisions.

As a new shooter & in having chosen & purchased 1927/28 field grade Ithaca NIDs, in 410,20,12, i decided to have the 20&12 reblacked/case hardened/wood refinished. The two receivers were, in my less-learned eyes, sorta kinda "in the white." They were also relatively very less expensive compared to the worn but very nice 410. Considering the 20&12 would be re-case colored i decided that I needed also to try to lift the wood back to better condition with refinish and recheckering (they seemed a bit rough, others might disagree, as in an earlier post where I pictured a pretty 'red' hued stock on the 20 and now shown below again). Refinish was w/ some Tru-Oil & my boiled linseed atop. Maybe I didn't need to have the wood done; I have seen some comments by others in regards to such that it would have been far better to have just left them alone. However i was determined to "match" the 20/12 to the nicer condition of the 410 (pictured as the bottom piece in the triplets shots). I know each shotgun ought be judged on its own merits and left to its own devices but as a personal "set" i just couldn't leave the two alone. Pics are unadulterated and w/out flash to be as natural as can be. Unfortunately, the 12 grew a top side cracking (from a craze) after patterning. Any suggestions on this are welcomed as well. Keep shooting and watch it, or get it stabilized asap?

I appreciate any thoughts particularly on if one decides to recolor/blue, if you should leave wood (described as 'okay') alone in order to keep its patina and time-wisened hue or must you go all the way?

Last edited by rrrgcy; 09/29/08 11:40 PM.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

leave the .410 as is, its rare and in nice shape, enjoy it!
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice. Got any pictures of the sides after the re-case? In particular, did you have the dog stamping recut, leave it as is, or polish it off altogether?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you have made the right choices here, especially to leave the .410 alone. A very nice "All Star" collection!

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I too would leave the 410 as is. Nice guns. Does anyone know, of the various field grade NID configurations, which is the rarest?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PM
I too would leave the 410 as is. Nice guns. Does anyone know, of the various field grade NID configurations, which is the rarest?

I'd guess that the fourth and last configuration, after WW-2 would be the most rare. That one had no cocking indicators and left off the border engraving...Geo

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

I'd guess that the fourth and last configuration, after WW-2 would be the most rare. That one had no cocking indicators and left off the border engraving...Geo

Do you suppose any of those were 410's?

rrrgcy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. I never would have done a thing to the 410. As for the polish job, i suspect it was conservatively performed; hence, the engravings appear to look as they did when purchased and i would not have wanted them diminished visibly. Nothing was re-engraved. i believe they are still very well struck.

Here Norm are pics of the case colors, first the 410 (original) then the re-case color hardened 20 then 12. Keep in mind I used a bright flash which accentuates the colors making them more vivid than they generally appear.

Lastly, here are close ups of setter engravings - tough to catch and needed some comp. accentuating to bring it out (hence the vividness)... The face on the second truly captures my imagination.

I'm still interested if most would have had the 12 and 20 redone or just have left them be as original as possible. Thanks for your comments notwithstanding. Natural-light photography would have been best, i agree.

Last edited by rrrgcy; 10/01/08 12:29 AM.
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I suppose it is an individuals decision whether or not to refinish a particular gun or not. I have some al natural and some that have been redone or partially so over the life of the firearm. I collect the double guns that I like, with or without original finish, redone or not and I am happy with them. You have a fine looking trio of "Star" field grade NIDs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for sharing the side views. I like what you've done with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.