May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (playing hooky), 625 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,402
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#112150 09/11/08 07:43 AM
SKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This one is not mine either.....a full .577 3" nitro proved for 100grains of cordite and a 750 grain bullet, it handles great but that scope scares the bejesus out of me

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SKB #112264 09/11/08 03:00 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

With that scope in place, you'd have instant half moon scarring on your eyebrow with the first shot. OUCH!

Beautiful gun nonetheless.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A beautiful rifle I agree. Totally spoilt by the addition of a telescopic sight which is absolutely unnecessary. A Rifle of this calibre (.577" x 3" x 750 x 100) is meant to be a 'stopper' at very close range and not for long distance shooting where a telescopic sight may be adventagous.

I fail to see why a telescopic sight is necessary when the average range that these rifles of this calibre were used was no more than 30 yards, and often considerably less. Even over open sights, the worlds most dangerous game animals will look like the proverbial 'Barn Door' at 30 yards or less.

The large British Big Game calibre rifles and cartridges were developed at a time when the maxim for shooting at big game was, "Get as close as you can, and then get 10 yards closer"

Only someone with no idea at all about Big Game Hunting would have ordered such a rifle in such a calibre to be fitted with a telescopic sight.l

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe a pre Barrett sniper rifle

Boxlock
Boxlock

The telescope appears to be a commercial type Aldis Bros. made up after WWI, probably using lenses and parts left over from their WWI production of scopes for SMLE and P14 sniper rifles. They are very similar to, but not the same as the WWI scopes. The distinct downward cant of the scope apparently indicating that the owner intended to use it for longer ranges, which I suppose the cartridge is very capable of.

It is zeroed for windage by removing the cover on the object lens housing and rotating the prism therein with a flat key made to fit the two slots. This also throws the elevation adjustment out, so that has to be reset aftwards.

Here's a sheet on the scope.

Were it not for the beautiful condition of the rifle and the post-war scope, one might think it was set up to "bash-in" German sniper shields, as quite a few Express rifles were used for this purpose in WWI.

Last edited by Old Glass; 03/05/10 05:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I notice that the 'scope pull', that is, the distance between the trigger and a vertical line extended downward from the rear of the scope's eyepiece, is essentially zero. Since 'scope pulls' of ~1.75" are more usual on modern rifles, I therefore assumed that perhaps this scope had been fitted with extremely long eye relief, to compensate for the excessive recoil movement. This scope's eyepiece position would place the shooter's eye more than 5" away from the scope; maybe not enough for complete safety but better than a first impression would indicate.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,

I dunno if 5" of eye relief is enough...I keep getting this mental image of that scope eyepiece sticking out of the BACK of some unfortunate souls' head...

Greg

Rollers Rock, but High Walls Rule

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.