May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, R. Glenz, Jtplumb, Jusanothajoe), 894 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,853
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#111548 09/07/08 07:33 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Taking my 16 gauge Ithaca NID which loosely translated means (No back up necessary) just ordered from Mack's PW a whole case on Kent's matrix non-toxic shot, I'm set but....
Well I just received my 'Public Hunting Areas' book and a South Dakota highway map; is this all I need to figure out the public 'walk in' areas or is there something else I should order from them????

Sidelock
Sidelock

My understanding is that all the ditches are available public hunting, even the ones right next to private land.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most public land is marked but not always well. One of those big state atlas maps (book) has it all pinpointed an makes it easlier to locate. Roadside hunting is legal but impractical for the most part.
Bob Jurewicz

Sidelock
Sidelock

Over near Huron, we regularly hunt along the roads and get a fair number of birds on day 2 or 3 of the season when the big groups (ours included) have pushed the birds in there. The one state land parcel we've hunted across from our private patch, I haven't seen a bird in there in the past 3 yrs but I'm told there have been some birds in there. Best situation would be to get access to some private land after the first 3 days from the openner. Access could be free or pretty cheap for the asking after the openning weekend.

The NID being reliable as a bowling ball, just the same, I'd bring a backup just in case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to save the expensive nontox stuff, you don't need to use it on the Walk-In areas. You can shoot lead on those. State public land, virtually all federal land (Waterfowl Production Areas), you have to use nontox. But the National Grasslands are also OK for lead.

Read the trespass laws carefully if you hunt road ditches. Some years they are quite productive here in Iowa, and legal to hunt as long as you observe a 200 yard safety distance from any building housing either people or animals. You can also cross onto private property to retrieve a bird you shot from a road ditch, but you have to leave your gun behind.

This year, the Iowa pheasant forecast shows us to be the only major pheasant state with declining bird numbers from last season. And last season was not very good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

SoDak pheasant counts are at a high since the '60s (overall). The DFG site shows which areas are up. I'm lucky as the area I hunt is up 7% from last season which was a fantastic year.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you gentlemen for the valuable information!!!
I think I need to get that Atlas from the South Dakota game commission just to be on the safe side!!
Chuck would you or did you take your 410 Nitro Special last year to South Dakota??? If you did how did it perform???

Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't take it along last year. I had such a pile of other guns and I was traveling in someone else's rig that it seemed impractical to bring any more guns. This year I think I'm driving so I'll take it along. I want to try the newer loads that some have been using with #6 shot.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I've made many trips to SD over the years, hunting exclusively public land. I'll just add a few things to what's already been said.

The publication you need is the SD Hunting Atlas:

http://www.sdgfp.info/Publications/Atlas/Index.htm

if you know what part of the state you'll be hunting, you can just print the pages with a color printer, otherwise they'll send you the atlas for free. I see that since I last hunted SD in '06, they've added the school lands to the atlas (in blue) which is a nice improvement - this can be hunted as long as the crops are down, but in my experience a most of it is grazed and it's rarely worth a long drive to check out a piece of this ground.

Do not overlook the small parcels, and hunt the isolated or harder to reach parts of the larger parcels - most hunters tend to follow the same general routes and there's enough pressure that the birds get trained very quickly.

Don't beat your dogs up hunting large pieces of CRP grass during the middle of the day, unless the crops in the vicinity have recently been cut. If you see lots of pheasant sign in an area of grassy cover, go back there the last hour of sunlight. This last hour of the day has been the most productive for me over the years as the birds will move into the roosting cover they like even if it gets pounded all day. Unfortunately, they seem to have access to the sunset tables, and on a number of occasions I've seen whole flocks head out of the crop fields and into the walk-in or public ground a few minutes after sunset.

As the season progresses, the birds will spend a lot of time in cattails, which is a type of cover you'll have plenty of access to as a public land hunter. Focus on the smaller sloughs - the big marshes will wear you and your dogs out fast, especially if it's a wet year and it's before freeze up. In this type of cover, give the bird the second barrel if there's any doubt at all, and mark the fall closely - the dog often can't see the fall, plus it's so noisy that they may not even when the bird flushes. If there are 2 guys the one who shot the bird should stay put and direct his parter and the dogs to the fall. Even with good dogs you will lose some birds. After things freeze by all means try the bigger cattail sloughs, especially if there's some fresh snow.

Do hunt the public rights of way. I think this is probably the most productive way to kill birds if you don't have private land access, especially in the difficult period in between the first week or so when there are dumb birds everywhere, and the latter part of the season when weather concentrates the birds in the heavy cover. The best roads are the nearly abandoned section roads that have nice cover on both sides from the fencelines right up to the wheel ruts. These are usually marked with dashed lines in the atlas. If you have two vehicles leave one at one end and drive around to the other end to start. If not, hunt the mile, have a snack and take a rest, and you may well pick up another bird on the way back. In particular, hunt ditches that border cut crops. As noted above, don't shoot near buildings, and don't stray outside the right of way even if there's a marshy area with no fence (it can be tempting). Try to keep your dog out of the fields as well. This is a good way to hunt in the middle of the day when the birds are loafing in light cover near the food source.

Unlike the guy hunting private land, you won't have the luxury of sleeping in. Get up early, burn some gas scouting the public spots, and park at your first field well before shooting hours (in heavily hunted areas, particularly weekends, this means a couple of hours before shooting starts to avoid finding a couple of parties ready to go at every public spot you drive past).

Don't expect limits every day, and the probability of limiting out is inversely proportional to the size of your group in this kind of hunting. You will work hard for your birds, and you'll remember every one, which may not be true for the guy paying big money to hunt with a crowd, shooting birds out of strips of milo with walking paths in between. I think you'll enjoy it!

If you haven't decided what part of the state to hunt, send me a PM and I'll give you some suggestions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Davidm, How is the south west corner of the state?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.