April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 394 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

In all fairness to those who live away from the large population centers like Boston, New Bedford, Lawrence, Haverhill, Lowell, Fitchburg, Worcester, and Springfield Massachusetts isn;t that bad and a pretty normal cross-section of most of the Eastern US. On the downside is the graft and corruption unfortunately felt all over the state. Seems nobody cares enough to change it and not enough people are willing to get out and vote the liberals out of office. I make a fair living here and have raised a beautiful family here and at my age will keep voting but the overwhelming tide of liberalism is depressing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glaser safety slugs.

But why a pistol for home defense? A pump shotgun is my choice for home defense. The first round is rubber buckshot, just as a safety measure, after that it's 00.

OP Offline

Originally Posted By: dubbletrubble
But why a pistol for home defense? A pump shotgun is my choice for home defense.

I prefer a revolver, for simplicity, safety and silence. I'd rather not try navigating a long gun in the corridors and confines of my home - and I like the concealability of the Model 49 for times when we get an unknown caller at the door.

To those who talk about "third world" conditions in America, I have to ask: have you actually spent any time in real Third World countries? Anyone who has, knows the comparison is absurd.

It's really irritating that even a straightforward question about ammunition can be hijacked by trolls who insist on posting their ignorance on race and politics.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

"But is a 110gr. 'low recoil' load enough to stop a bad guy? "

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on many factors of which you have no control of.
If you want to maximise your probablity of a 'one shot stop' use a shotgun with buck or slugs, LEO do. If you think that you can keep 5 on target double action in a self defence situation, your probablity goes up. Me I carry SIG P229's in 40 S&W. 13 rounds of controllable pistol with quick reload.-Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 09/03/08 11:21 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
"To those who talk about "third world" conditions in America, I have to ask: have you actually spent any time in real Third World countries? Anyone who has, knows the comparison is absurd."

I spent around three weeks in Brazil a couple of years ago and have made countless trips to Mexico,Belize and other South American "paradises". The trip to Brazil almost killed me as I contacted Whooping Cough and Walking Pneumonia while there. It took over three months to recover and I still have a residual cough. No you don't have anyone living in a shantytown in Massachusetts that I know about but I stand by my comparison. The last time I was in Springfield it looked like a ghetto. It was a great City when I was growing up. Oh there's worse,a lot worse, go take a tour of the South side of Chicago some time. There's NO question whatsoever that we have people living in third world conditions here and anyone who hasn't seen this has led a very sheltered life.
I could really get enthused with a candidate that would stand up and say "Screw the Arabs and screw the countries who dislike us but have their hands out for foreign aid. We're done fighting other countries wars and subsidizing your crooked governments. We're taking these resources and using them to rebuild the infrastructure here."
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 09/03/08 03:06 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I could really get enthused with a candidate that would stand up and say "Screw the Arabs and screw the countries who dislike us but have their hands out for foreign aid. We're done fighting other countries wars and subsidizing your crooked governments. We're taking these resources and using them to rebuild the infrastructure here."
Jim
[/quote]

I am with you 100% on that statement but with no political strings attached, just get it done. (wishful thinking)

OP Offline

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Quote:
"To those who talk about "third world" conditions in America, I have to ask: have you actually spent any time in real Third World countries? Anyone who has, knows the comparison is absurd."

I spent around three weeks in Brazil a couple of years ago and have made countless trips to Mexico,Belize and other South American "paradises". The trip to Brazil almost killed me as I contacted Whooping Cough and Walking Pneumonia while there.

Jim, most global organizations (including the CIA) have dropped the term 'Third World' in favor of 'developing nations.' But Brazil and Mexico don't qualify as 'Third World' or 'developing' nations - in fact, they are among the richer half of the world's countries.

I have worked in famine refugee camps in West Africa and orphanages in Haiti where the poverty, squalor and human misery go beyond anything you'll ever see in Latin America. Oh - and I grew up on the South Side of Chicago - it ain't anywhere near 'Third World.'

There are places in America which are relatively poor, and relatively dangerous, compared to most of this country...but they're nowhere near as bad as a lot of the world we live in.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Federal Hydro-shocks are what is loaded in my S&W 686 Plus. They are good rounds. The State Police use them too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack:
I agree there are degrees of poverty but I worked on the South Side of Chicago and what you'll see down there in the ghetto neighborhoods rivals anything anywhere else. There is primarily blue collar South Side and there are the ghettos. You get off the beaten path in Brazil* or Mexico and you'll also see conditions that are hard to fathom for most Americans.
BTW: We gave up the term "Backward Countries" a long time ago so as not to offend the citizens and went to the term "Third World" instead. So now this is offensive? What exactly does a "Developing Country" do that any different than any other country where development is going on constantly? Is this a new type of political correctnes and if it is I'll give it a label and call it "Nonspeak" ala George Orwell.
*There are hill or shanty towns ringing Rio where even the police and military are afraid to go into. There is no running water,electricity or any sanitary services. The Government has no record of who even lives in these places although it is known that they are gang controlled and everything imaginable happens there. You or I wouldn't survive for an hour in one of these locations. The resident who took me on a tour of Rio and,thru necessity you have to drive by these places, had a H&K MP5 submachine gun in the car.
I didn't think to ask him if it was loaded with Hydra Shoks to get this thread back on track.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 09/03/08 08:03 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack does this thread qualify as ?;

" ones who post stream-of-unconsciouness drivel that has nothing remotely to do with double guns..."

Jack Maloney
"What a great idea - let's do it! "

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post107769

do as I say not as I do I guess

Last edited by Dave K; 09/03/08 08:07 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.