doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bill Graham Merkel Excelsior? - 06/08/23 11:55 PM
I have ended up with another stocked action, this time without barrel, forend, AND sideplates. I’m thinking it’s an Excelsior live pigeon gun, but I do not know German guns. Anyone able to help identify?

Any possible resource for the parts needed to complete the gun?

Thank you.

Pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-pPrIpRSIgAVrS-rCK5pQxvXtokXhtTL
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Merkel Excelsior? - 06/09/23 12:10 AM
[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

Abesser & Merkel Suhl, ABMESU, a short lived concern with Paul Abesser and Ernst Merkel as partners.

More than likely you will have to fabricate components.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Merkel Excelsior? - 06/09/23 12:15 AM
Considering it is an O/U and the serial number, it just might have been fabrikated by Gebrüder Merkel??

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: Merkel Excelsior? - 06/09/23 01:06 PM
Bill, Raimey is correct. I also what to mention that the EXCELSIOR grade was only attribuated to S X S guns and not O/U. Sure if you want spend much money you gonna have a rare ABMESU.
Cheers, Marc.
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Merkel Excelsior? - 06/09/23 01:20 PM
Thank you. I don’t see it being realistic for me to pursue, so someone else is welcome to it. Have to go through an FFL.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Merkel Excelsior? - 06/09/23 02:21 PM
This could be a very interesting project for a couple people whose work we have admired here over the years. What it could wind up being is wide open, multi barrel set, anyone. It would require either much more money and/or time than many of us have left. How about two sets of shotgun barrels, a combination set, and a double rifle set? Calibers open to desires of owner.
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com