doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jtplumb Steyr double guns - 10/18/21 09:48 PM
I have ran across a few steyr doubles lately, super nice guns both hammer and hammerless. Sellers often claim barrels are made of a solid piece of steel? Anyone have any information on these? Old threads? Or advice. Here is a pic of one but have saw 4 or 5 in last year or so.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 12:56 AM
An Austrian platform for sure. I do wonder if they sourced from Ferlach? Steyr was a satellite stamping station as an arm of the Praha proof facility.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 12:56 AM
Jani may know?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 12:58 AM
All barrels were made from a single piece of steel, bar stock. Well, except the vessel process that the Whitworth tubes were extruded.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 01:41 AM
They are claiming the 2 barrels are made of 1 piece of steel, no soldering or lump? I thought it was crazy but look?
Think I have seen Galand barrels made like this also. What the heck am I looking at?
Would they be more likely to change poi after being shot several times?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 01:46 AM
Ah, it would either be very expensive or a fantasy??? I think the Whitworth chopperlump would be the only possibility?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 01:47 AM
Here is a hammerless. Now it’s way out of my price range, but wow somebody was trying very hard on these guns!
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 01:47 AM
It could be some H. Pieper Monobloc variation?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 01:49 AM
Very nice bar action sidelock.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 01:49 AM
Is it from 1908?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 02:10 AM
Don’t know seller says guns are pre war and cock with the top lever? Sounds old to me with that type of cocking mechanism?
Posted By: Parabola Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 07:25 AM

Before they introduced fluid steel barrels Whitworth made pairs of barrels from one piece of steel.

Here is a picture of a very early E.C. Green gun using a set, sold at Bonhamsin 1999.

Longthorne now do much the same, hopefully with a much lower rate of rejection.

To be sure with the Steyr guns you need a picture of the muzzles.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 11:38 AM
Get a pic of the knuckle. Almost all >>hammerless<< platforms utilized the drop of the weight of the tubeset to cock the action thru lever-bars referred to as >>cocking dogs<<.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 11:52 AM
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...terreichische&Search=true#Post536107

Possibly Mr. Neuberger will chime in on a bit more about the OEWG( Oesterreichische Waffengesellschaft) ......

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 11:53 AM
Or Elaine Stewart:

>>......, just to clarify, our barrels are monolithic from one single piece (not monoblock). We machine the entire barrel set from one block of steel. We have patents on this. Whitworth also developed a method of making barrels from a solid block and patented it but our method and end result is different.
Boxall and Edmiston manufactured their barrels using conventional methods, but sadly no longer in business.<<

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 02:04 PM
From Mr. Neuberger's >>monolithic<< thread:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 07:49 PM
I had a pre model 11 Remington trap gun with a 1 piece barrel and vent rib and was impressed, never expected this with a double! Wow
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Steyr double guns - 10/19/21 11:47 PM
Found the Galand, a pair that I won’t be buying without selling a truck, a pretty new truck.
I will definitely pay more attention to early guns described as monoblock especially Austrian, French and Belgium offerings. I always thought of robust, pieper or those berettas when that was mentioned before.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Steyr double guns - 10/20/21 12:40 AM
I think the key term to be >>Monolithic<<.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Parabola Re: Steyr double guns - 10/20/21 07:17 AM
On the TGS outdoors YouTube platform they have just released a fascinating video on the making and proofing of a Longthorne 12 bore over and under with the one piece barrels machined from a bar of titanium!
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Steyr double guns - 10/20/21 10:21 AM
Hum, the only longarm with titanium I have seen is an action by Fanzoj where they take powdered titanium and laser fuse it together.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com