doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: journeymen New to me Kettner - 03/14/21 07:54 PM
Hello All!

I was directed here from the parker collector forums. I purchased this Ed. Kettner hammer drilling at a local gunstore and was wondering about its history and what cartridges would be safe to shoot through it? The gun seems to have been refinished at some point recently. I'm not sure if the reciever is suppose to be blued or case hardened. Bores are in OK shape but do have pitting.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: HalfaDouble Re: New to me Kettner - 03/14/21 09:15 PM
The shotgun barrels was chambered for 16 gauge 2 9/16" shells and the rifle, based on what I can make out of the bore marking 118/35? is most likely a 9.3x72R.
Posted By: journeymen Re: New to me Kettner - 03/14/21 09:50 PM
is there any easy way to find out around what time it was made? I downloaded the proof stamp log that i found posted here but its a little blurry
Posted By: ellenbr Re: New to me Kettner - 03/15/21 10:24 AM
Well, I do not see the term >>Nitro<< stamped anywhere so it would date between 1893 & 1912. I have seen that barrel stamp of >>RJ<< surmounted by a Crown on the lower rifled tube. I'll have to search. What stamps are on the frame?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: New to me Kettner - 03/15/21 10:29 AM
Too, the initials >>RW<< higher on the lower tube may point to a mechanic.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: New to me Kettner - 03/15/21 02:50 PM
Journeyman,
The crown W on the barrels shows were choked, but the amount of constriction is not shown. Since it has been re-blued and it is unknown what process was used, suggest you keep a close watch for rib loosening, in case it was hot salts blued.
Mike
Posted By: journeymen Re: New to me Kettner - 03/16/21 11:26 AM
My apologies,

Originally Posted by Der Ami
Journeyman,
The crown W on the barrels shows were choked, but the amount of constriction is not shown. Since it has been re-blued and it is unknown what process was used, suggest you keep a close watch for rib loosening, in case it was hot salts blued.
Mike
I didn't even consider that, thank you for the heads up
Posted By: journeymen Re: New to me Kettner - 03/19/21 12:27 PM

I tried to get a better one of the rifle barrel stamps
Posted By: Der Ami Re: New to me Kettner - 03/19/21 03:49 PM
The crown G means it was proofed for a single projectile. The 118/35 is the bore( not groove or bullet) diameter, expressed in gauge measurement. This works out to about 8.64mm or about .341". Experience shows that barrels with this marking commonly "slug" to .357-359" groove diameter. The most common chambering with this mark seems to be one of the 9.3x72R cartridges, but sometimes it may be found on one of the other case length 9.3 cartridges( 70-82mm) or some 9mm cartridges such as 9x58 1/2R S&S. The best way to determine the chambering is by making a chamber cast. If it were mine, I would try a 9.3x72R normal. before making a chamber cast, however.
Mike
Posted By: journeymen Re: New to me Kettner - 03/22/21 09:06 PM
How do I learn to read these markings? Is there a guide i can reference?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: New to me Kettner - 03/23/21 11:54 AM
No, not really a single but a composition of several will net you some info. GGCA typical has such references possibly including Wirnsberger:

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Directory-Proof-Marks-Wirnsberger/dp/089149006X

But you really need to read it with several drilling examples with which to compare the marks.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: New to me Kettner - 03/23/21 12:08 PM
To be honest with the knowledge depth here, I would post a single pic of a proofmark & then ask for the interpretation, which can be given a specific reference in a text.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: New to me Kettner - 03/23/21 05:24 PM
journeymen,
There is a good reference in the 1975 Gun Digest.
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com