doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: mtwoodson Greifelt quality? - 03/31/16 03:34 PM
Any thoughts on where Greifelt sits in a general quality comparison? Recognizing that there are high and low- grade variations of each, where would they stand in comparison with pre-war Merkels, Simsons, Sauer or ? Thanks
Posted By: xausa Re: Greifelt quality? - 03/31/16 07:16 PM
I have a Greifelt drilling and a side-by-side shotgun, both boxlocks and both on consignment at the Tulsa Gun Show this weekend with Ken Pendleton of Pendleton Firearms. I consider their quality no different from any of the other high grade Suhl gunmakers. Reason for the sale: two new drillings, a Krieghoff Waldschuetz and a Simson-Jaeger, with Jaeger's unique locking system.
Posted By: Ger Re: Greifelt quality? - 03/31/16 08:29 PM
Greifelt was a high qualified gunsmith in Suhl before WWII, you can compare with Merkel, Simson and Sauer, specially quality.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Greifelt quality? - 03/31/16 09:05 PM
On the quality, I agree with xausa and Ger.
Mike
Posted By: Austin Hawthorne Re: Greifelt quality? - 03/31/16 10:32 PM
I also have a Greifelt drilling, and can attest to the quality. I've owned it for several years,fired well over 100 rounds of rifle ammo and a few thousand rounds of shotshells, from birdshot to buckshot and slugs. Never had a problem with the gun, and it's as tight as when it left Suhl in the early 1930's.
Posted By: kcordell Re: Greifelt quality? - 04/01/16 03:18 AM
Have a 12 and 20 O/U both imported by VL&D. Both condidered very high end back in the day and at the time was priced equivalent to a new automobile....or so I was informed by Griffin & Howe. From a quality perspective, my opinion is quite high on Greifelt. Hard to compare to the other known Suhl firms such as as Simson, Sauer, Sempert Kreighoff, Merkel as they also crafted field grade to super high end arms as well. All that I have seen (pre-war) are of excellent quality internally and externally.

You can find more on Greifelt and other makers here
http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/Sections/Page.asp?SID=436&MID=5#GreifeltBaltasar

Posted By: Buchsemann Re: Greifelt quality? - 04/01/16 04:06 AM
Have but one, a Model 272 9.3X74R O/U DR (1935)...

Though the adornment varies from the "high grades" to what at times are referred to as "field grades" the functionality and quality of craftsmanship of the guns of Suhl, in my opinion, is second to none. This surely goes for those produced by Greifelt. Sure, like others, if one can swing it it's nice to pick up the pretty and more refined guns but in my experience all have functioned well in the field where I enjoy them the most. Suppose I could, with a little more time on the bench and at the range, close the grouping a tad more with this Greifelt Model 272 but still the next boar targeted with this gun will not escape a trip to the freezer.

Regards,

Mark
Posted By: kcordell Re: Greifelt quality? - 04/01/16 04:23 AM
Mark, gorgeous,,,,stunning O/U...with superior engraving...thanks for sharing.

Interesting to compare workmanship to a higher end Simson drilling of the same era. This example has seen harder days...yet still ready for the field aside from the fact that it is my favorite..:-)

Posted By: mtwoodson Re: Greifelt quality? - 04/01/16 05:44 AM
Holy Moly! Those drillings and the double are stunning. And even your "higher grade tired old Simson" could have an honored place in my safe. The stories it must have...
I have a plain postwar 16 ga. Simson that is hell on pheasants. Mine was made in 54 when the dirty commies were running the show. No frills to speak of but it still locks up like a vault on Timkens. I think I'm still breaking it in, 60 years later. Here's my low end Simson.

[img:left][/img]

Posted By: Buchsemann Re: Greifelt quality? - 04/02/16 08:21 PM
mtwoodson,

It's nice to read that your Simson is "hell on pheasants". It's doing, of course with your help, what is was designed to do. Haven't seen any adornment on firearms putting any meat on the table yet.

Waidmannsheil!

Mark
Posted By: mtwoodson Re: Greifelt quality? - 04/04/16 10:53 PM
Some rotten SOB , albeit an SOB with extremely good taste,beat me back to the LGS with cash. Now my Greifelt is still just a dream.
Posted By: steve white Re: Greifelt quality? - 04/08/16 03:40 AM
Mark, that is one FINE O/U, my friend!
Posted By: Buchsemann Re: Greifelt quality? - 04/08/16 04:24 PM
mtwoodson,

Funny stuff! Your "...albeit an SOB with extremely good taste". I wish you better luck next time around.

Steve,

Thank you for the complement. My pictured Greifelt BBF is one of my favorite rifles for many reasons, the obvious and the personal stories that go with it.

Regards,

Mark
Posted By: Buchsemann Re: Greifelt quality? - 04/10/16 10:16 PM
Kevin,

You're a lucky man to have two fine examples of Greifelt O/Us. I have to wonder if the same engraver did all three? Perhaps an expert such as Hendrik Frühauf would know. Have you already asked about yours?

Regards,

Mark
Posted By: kcordell Re: Greifelt quality? - 04/14/16 03:49 AM
Thanks Mark for the complement. I have been on the hunt for a VL&D Greifelt and two presented themselves (12 and 20). I think the engraving on your O/U is quite stunning to say the least. I have not researched the engraver but was thinking that yours could have been Richard Schilling.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com