doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Igorrock Mystery drilling - 02/20/16 05:19 PM
Hello all,

My pal sent my some fotos of mystery drilling. It seems to be older german made sidelock drilling. There is no makers/traders name. Looks like it has at times been re-proofed. Shotgun barrels are, if I see correct, marked as 16 cal, probably 16/65. Rifle barrel caliber is a bit mystery for me bacause it has marked 7,6x58. Could it be 8x58 Danish Krag ? Below some fotos:

Posted By: Der Ami Re: Mystery drilling - 02/20/16 07:40 PM
Igorrock,
I can't make out all the markings, but from what I can see, the gun does(or did)have 65mm 16 ga. chambers. If it was reproofed, it could have 70mm chambers, but it should have been remarked with a 16-70 somewhere. If you only have photos, such marks may not be obvious. I have one reproofed in Ulm, and the marks are much smaller than the original ones. As far as the rifle barrel is concerned, I guess the 8x58R Danish Krag is possible, if it was sent to your country. The 7.6 bore diameter would be pretty tight for that caliber. I think a more likely candidate is the 8x58R S&S. This caliber is more often found with a tight bore and it was loaded with a steel jacketed bullet also, so the St. m. G. mark would work for either one. These two cartridges are different enough that a chamber cast should not be necessary. You(or your friend)can directly measure the head diameter of the chamber with a caliper. If it is 8x58R S&S this diameter should be a little over .433", if it is the 8x58 Danish Krag, it should be a little over .500". I hope this helps some.
Mike
Posted By: Igorrock Re: Mystery drilling - 02/20/16 08:16 PM
Thanks, I have made some reseach and it seems that most of this type of drillings have calibers like 9,3x72R, 8x57R/360 etc. so I´m quite sure that this would be 8x58R S&S. I try to have opportunity to inspect this drilling better.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Mystery drilling - 02/21/16 11:05 AM
Was it stamped Nitro over the voluntary stamp of 2 Grammes of Schultze? The tubeset knitter had the initials HS or RS. I would hazard a guess it was from the Keßler shop or possibly Merkel but I just don't seen any Merkel process marks.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Igorrock Re: Mystery drilling - 02/21/16 12:05 PM
Here is some more detailed stamps:

Posted By: ellenbr Re: Mystery drilling - 02/21/16 10:25 PM
Can you pleasure us with some close-up images of the lock & of the water table & standing breech?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Igorrock Re: Mystery drilling - 02/22/16 06:58 AM
I'm sorry but these above are all fotos which I have.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Mystery drilling - 02/22/16 03:00 PM
The shot barrels show a crown R proof, or "repair" proof. This could mean it was changed from 65 to 70mm chambers, or it could be for some other " repair". There may be a crown R above the 7.6, on the rifle barrel, also. This may or may not indicate the rifle was rechambered. More information, better photo(more)and/or chambercasts will be needed; or better answers can't be given.
Mike
Posted By: Igorrock Re: Mystery drilling - 02/22/16 04:19 PM
I think yours information in this case is good enough, thanks all of you.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com