doublegunshop.com - home
Hi

I recently acquired a Funk drilling with unique scope mounts. The drilling was made in 1936 in Suhl by Christoph Funk.

An idea on the type of base this is? I would rather find scope rings that fit this base than replace these bases with claw mounts.

Regards,

Doug
They are Krieghoff-type slide-on mounts. Each mount has a lever which cams to flex the dovetail "male" onto the female base. Not made anymore that I know of (possibly AKAH or Reckenagle) and a slim chance of finding any used that fit. You do see them on Ebay from time to time. Probably a very expensive custom job is the only sure way to use them. That said, they are one of my favorites on a drilling because there is no bulky interruption of the shotgun rib.

Best,

C.
thanks C.

that is great info....
Nice drilling, by the way. C. Funk is one of the best.

8mm?

C.
This one is a 8x57R. The other is a 8x72R.

Have you ever heard of anyone fitting a Warne QD set of rings on this type of mount?

Doug
I too have a Funk drilling with a like mount. Mine only have the forward stop, but no matter. The width of the dovetail on my mounts is 15mm. The width of CZ 527 small rifle dovetail mounts is 16mm. Buy one of their ring sets, take off the adjustable side and mill or file off 1 mm. The scope will be tight!! The trouble with Warne rings is if the width of the dovetail is different than the width on your drilling, the verticle split ring will not allow you to remove any metal without decreasing the diameter of the ring itself. The original CZ ring is the one I deemed best for the conversion, although one Leupold ring for the mod. 527 might work, as well as a set of millet rings that adjust from both sides. I have not been able to find a QD ring set in 16mm size--most are actually one inch. Good luck, and BTW the CZ rings are working great on my Funk.
OOPS! I forgot to mention the recoil stop on the CZ rings--you will need to file it off for your application. On my Jubilem model, the front dovetail mount had a groove crossing it much like a Ruger mount. I filled the square Cz stop to fit the round profile of the groove, and it works. Since yours has rear recoil stops, you can just file it off flat. IF the lenth of your dovetails between the recoil stops is narrower than the CZ rings, once again, file to fit. Shouldn't be too hard. Steve
Would you believe me if I told you that today I shot a cloverleaf pattern at 100yds with a 4x scope and factory Sellier & Belloit ammo. We have a nice airconditioned shooting range at TargetMasters in Garland, Tx. One of the shots that comprised the group was after I removed and replaced the scope to test any shift in impact. Works great, obviously. Nice to finally have a drilling without flaws. For a while I thought I was the "bad drilling Magnet." (Maybe I'll start a thread on that!) Try the CZ rings...Steve
Hey Steve

thanks for the tip on the CZ mount. I was going to send the drilling off to Mr. Brunner in CA but the CZ option sounds very viable. Do you have a picture of the drilling with the CZ rings?

BTW how many Funk drillings do you have?

Doug
Doug, I only have the one. I have owned 7 drillings, all by different makers (one a guild gun with no maker engraving). Some had scope mounts, some did not. This is the only Christophe Funk. Bob Jones in Fort Worth tried to sell me one once. Should have taken him up on it.
BTW, what is the contact info for Mr. Brunner in Ca.? I might need it if I run onto another with the traditional claw mounts, sans scope. Seems most of them get lost, probably stored in a leather tube somewhere. If I don't have the scope mounted on mine when I die, it will probably get separated, too.
Sorry I have no picture capability at this time. Maybe my daughter will help me get some pictures posted. Steve
P.S. I completely agree with Mr. Kofoed about the sight plane being uninterupted. Yours is particularly clean. I wouldn't change it to the claw mounts, either. Good luck, and let us know how it shoots!
Thanks Steve

Did you try the QD mount?

Doug
As I reviewed the options in Brownell's and other sources, I did not see a QD mount for the CZ 527, which was the only 16mm ring size. I needed to end up with a 15mm width to match the dovetails on the funk rib. It would be great to have the QD option--and maybe it could be added to the CZ ring set. All I have to do is carry along a stubby screwdriver--the slots are coarse on the rings. Let us know if you find a QD, though...Steve
P.S. I suppose you should measure your sight rib and see if it is also 15mm?...
Thanks Steve,
I expect to have the drilling on Weds. At that time I will be able to determine if a QD dovetail is a viable option. I found a ring manufacturer that is willing to work with me on trying to get a set of rings to fit.

Doug
Sorry if I'm late with this, but Talley still makes 7/8" (22mm) rings. They come in quick-detach too. The base might be modified to fit your drilling. Talley is a small US company and might be able to work with you.

Please keep us appraised,

C.
I talked with Gary at Tally and sent him pictures of the bases from the sides. He did not feel he had any mounts that would work

here are more pictures

I have been trying to reach Mr Brunner
I see one difference between your Funk sight rib and mine--my sight rib appears to have been cut and the Krieghof mounts inset. The pattern on top the sight rib is not continuous on mine like it is on yours. I doubt that it was soldered in at a later date, but do not know. Hope to see a picture of your completed project...still no pics of mine online. Steve
Wow! Am I wrong or will the Recknagel Eramatic H7 rear half of the swing mount work. It is made for a 15mm dovetail, and is of the QD style. Steve
Hey Steve,

I am planning on sending the gun to Mr Brunner for his expertise.

Doug
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com