doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Doverham Merkel's status? - 03/09/11 10:19 PM
I was talking to someone at G&H today who mentioned in an offhand way that Merkel had recently stopped producing guns, due to declining sales. He seemed certain of it when I pressed - I would dismiss this as unfounded rumor, if it had not come from an established retailer.

Has anyone heard anything similar?
Posted By: Steven M Re: Merkel's status? - 03/10/11 08:22 AM
There's nothing about them ceasing production on either of their sites, nor their Facebook page. Considering who owns them I find it unlikely that they're going out of business.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Merkel's status? - 03/10/11 02:57 PM
A poster on another forum talked to GSI who indicated that Merkel was still in business. Very bizarre that someone at G&H would say that without confirmation.
Posted By: John Mc Re: Merkel's status? - 03/14/11 03:19 AM
Here is their German web site seems pretty active to me. If it dosn't work google Merkel guns

http://www.merkel-die-jagd.de/en/extras/virtual-stammbuch0/

John Mc
Posted By: kuduae Re: Merkel's status? - 03/14/11 05:30 PM
Yesterday, sunday, I visited Merkel at the great European IWA trade show in Nuremberg. I can tell you, Merkel is alive and well! They just introduced a new straight-pull repeating rifle, the RX-HELIX, but continue their traditional lines also. I recommended, they may sue G&H for producing such unfounded bu--s--t!
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Merkel's status? - 03/22/11 12:40 PM
The book I have shows that they have been taken over by a Dubai company who is building firearms in Dubai so is using Merkel to do the development, but they are also leaving them to get on with building fine German guns as before.
Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Merkel's status? - 03/22/11 09:31 PM
Martin, did you make it back to the UK alright?
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Merkel's status? - 03/23/11 12:35 PM
Scotty,
Yes I got back to the UK ok. We lost two older folks in my village on the same day last week one was 5 houses away (heart attack) and the second was two doors away (she was 85 and old age just kicked in).
But I was in the UK so missed both the funerals.
I am going to a "dogs for deer" weekend seminar in Derbyshire,UK this weekend it should be interesting to see what the UKs take is on this topic.
Regards
Martin
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Merkel's status? - 03/23/11 03:31 PM
Glad to hear that. I just acquired a K-31 Schmidt-Rubin straight-pull BA military issue rifle 7.5 x55mm Swiss (174 JHP military ball rd.) made in 1949. It is a real shooter with the open sights. Visit SwissRifles.com as they cover all the series of Schmidt-Rubin rifles from 1896. The K-31 was in issue from 1931 to 1958, and many Swiss reservists kept their K-31's at home long after their release from duty at age 42. Deadly sharpshooters, one of many reasons the German idiot with the Charlie Chaplin moustache didn't screw with the Swiss- the Mountain ranges may also have something to do with that. You don't fight in a basement and win, neither do you topple the motivated and trained sharpshooters who own the high ground. Ask the few Limey troopies who survived Gallipoli in WW1, they were TOA(st) for the Turkish sharpshooters.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Merkel's status? - 03/23/11 03:47 PM
In case your German is a tad lacking- the cover of the StammBuch (album) indicates that merkel has been a manufacture of hunting rifles in Suhl since 1898. Die Jagd means The Hunt! Die Fox!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com