doublegunshop.com - home
[hello, could you please help me with identification of this
single shot? Looks like JGA pre ww2 most likely made before 1932,maybe modified later to shoot 22 hornet, it passed slovak proofhouse test as a 22 hornet, I havent seen the gun yet, just seller sent me few photos. What do you think? Thank you! URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/71542_600x400/][Linked Image from jpgbox.com][/URL]
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
It would be helpful if after receiving the rifle, you could post clear photos of all the markings on it. Include any on the underside of the barrel and action.
Mike
Thank you, yes, I will. Do you aware of any difficulties changing 5,6x35r to 22 hornet? I mean things like bore diameter, deepness of the rifling, barrel twist-any different to 22 hornet? Do you know any source for flatnose bullets for this calibre?
I am happy to be corrected but the differences between the two cases doesn't amount to much. The rims are thinner on the 5.6 by something like 0.010" and the shoulder of the Hornet is a little further forward. I "think" the twist and bore are the same as the early Hornet at 0.223". Any of the 40-45 gr. or so Hornet bullets should work well. I shoot cast out of my Vierling.
Yeah, just slight difference.with old rifle you never know, seems fine, just that rim. 🙂 I found this: so 5,6x35r is 1:14 and 22h 1:16? I can imagine some gunsmith never heard of that back then.
https://www.germanhuntingguns.com/the-5-6x35r-vierling-5-6x36r-22-hornet/
Winchester, francote, 5,6x35r, hornet..
That 5,6x35r bullet is rws I believe, I would like to find them. What mold, cast bullets are you shooting?
What velocity are you getting, what powder is ok for lead?
I make cases for my 5.6x35 R Vierling by thinning 22 Hornet rims, from the rear, by enough to allow the action to close (around .010") and deepening the primer pocket with a Lyman primer pocket uniformer. In addition to being easier, it removes the Hornet headstamp. Sectioning a case after performing this operation showed sufficient "meat". Slugging my barrel showed it has a .223" groove Diameter. Bullets of .221,.222,.223, and .224" cand be found with a diligent search. It is best practice to determine the actual groove diameter when deciding which diameter bullet to use. I use standard 22 Hornet dies and shell holder, adjusted to headspace on the shoulder. If the particular rifle demands a small bullet, the expander button may need to be changed or adjusted to provide enough neck tension. I do not yet shoot cast bullets, but plan to do so, and have bought appropriate mold blocks.
Mike
I use commercially cast bullets from Reed's. They are available in 37, 48 and 48 gr. weights and a couple different point styles. They are sized to 0.225" but that presents no issues with my rifle. If I were to try jacketed bullets, I would seek out the 0.222" for the Remington Jet or 0.223" for the early Hornets. Might take a bit of searching but they show up now and then. And, like Der Ami mentions, base your choice(s) on the results from slugging the bore.

My rifle was originally a .22LR so the bore is ~0.222" and the twist is 1:16 near as I can measure. For me, the 35gr. bullets shoot just fine but I have yet to try anything heavier. Sorry, I do not have any velocities to report.

My memory says (caution!) I used H4227 and cast bullet data from Lyman's Cast Bullet manual for the Hornet. I have several Hornets so I was at the lower end of the data in deference to the origins of the rifle and to sort of 'bridge the gap' between the LR and the Hornet.
Oh I see. The rifle Im after went through Slovak proofhouse as 22 hornet, thats mean its been shot with cartridges with 30% over max pressure(3000bar plus 30%)
There should be markins on the gun about test and protocol. Thats good, because that bolt action looks very simple, tiny, compare to brno fox, cz 527..
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com