doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: buckstix WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 07/30/23 04:35 PM
WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ?

Hello All,

I recently purchased these two rifles from an Ohio Auction House. Very high quality, but maker is unknown. There were 7 similar rifles at that auction. Auction house tags were marked "NB" which I assume are the initials of the consignor who owned the rifles. All the rifle's descriptions mentioned gabon ebony, reinforced stocks, Breako recoil reducers, Timney Triggers, and NECG sites and fixtures. These 2 rifles and 2 others were built on P17 platforms, the others were built on commercial Remington actions. Both of these rifles have large forward mounted recoil blocks attached to the bottom of the barrel. The blocks and the rest of the actions are totally glass bedded with a grey bedding material. Again, very professional with not a single bubble in the bedding. Both these rifles remain in NEW condition with sight leaves still un-cut.

With these two rifles being of such high quality, I was surprised to not find any indication of the maker, either on the metal or the wood. When removed from the stock, the bottoms of the barrels and the actions were marked with matching serial numbers to insure they mated correctly and not mixed with other rifles being built. This would indicate to me some type of professional builder where several rifles were being built at the same time - rather than one-off work. It a shame that such high quality work would go unidentified, not giving credit to the builder.

If you have an opinion as to who built these rifles, please comment.
470 capstick
550 express

[Linked Image from buckstix.com]
[Linked Image from buckstix.com]
Posted By: Der Ami Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 07/30/23 06:08 PM
buckstix,
The photos don't show the bottom of the barrels, but if barreled after 68; whoever did the barrel work should be identified. Of course, this doesn't mean the same person did the rest of the work, but it may be a place to start.
Mike
Posted By: buckstix Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 07/30/23 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Der Ami
buckstix,
The photos don't show the bottom of the barrels ... Mike
Hello Der Ami,

"...When removed from the stock, the bottoms of the barrels and the actions were marked with matching serial numbers to insure they mated correctly and not mixed with other rifles being built..."

There are no other marks on the bottom of the barrels ... anywhere.
Posted By: skeettx Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 07/31/23 03:56 AM
Is this 470 a P17 action a 30 or a 720 Action?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_30

Have you looked under the recoil pad for the maker?

P.S. Did more looking, P17 made in 1918
Posted By: buckstix Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 07/31/23 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by skeettx
Is this 470 a P17 action a 30 or a 720 Action?
Have you looked under the recoil pad for the maker?
P.S. Did more looking, P17 made in 1918
Hello skeettx,

I have not looked under the recoil pads because both are glued on. It would be a big job to remove them ... and, Yes, both are Customized P-17 actions.
Posted By: waterman Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 08/01/23 03:17 PM
Those are relatively unusual bore sizes. Might Pac-Nor be of some help?
Posted By: skeettx Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 08/01/23 05:56 PM
Made 1990 or after

https://guns.fandom.com/wiki/.470_Capstick
Posted By: mc Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 08/01/23 10:05 PM
I was going to say shaws finest in guns but I think he was gone by then
Posted By: buckstix Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 08/02/23 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by skeettx
Yes,
Both cartridges were invented in the early 1990s. The 550 Express, invented by Neal Shirley, is a shorter version of the 550 Magnum so that it will fit / function in a standard length action. This 550 Express was advertised as having a Pac-nor barrel. I spoke with Neal and he indicted barrels were available from Cutrifle Barrels in Prescott, Arizona, Bausksa Barrels, Pac-nor, and Badger barrels. None of these barrel manufacturers have been of any help in determining the maker of the 470 Capstick, or the 550 Express rifle.
Posted By: mc Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 08/03/23 02:59 AM
Have you checked with Rachel wells in Prescott Fred used to make big bore guns.
Posted By: buckstix Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 08/03/23 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by mc
Have you checked with Rachel wells in Prescott Fred used to make big bore guns.

Rachel Wells passed away June 10, 2023

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2023/jul/01/obituary-margaret-rachel-wells/
Posted By: mc Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 08/03/23 06:16 PM
Well I'm not involved in the engraver or gun makers guild anymore so I'm sure others have passed that I don't know about .did Fred and Rachel have someone keep the business open ?
Posted By: buckstix Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 08/03/23 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by mc
Well I'm not involved in the engraver or gun makers guild anymore so I'm sure others have passed that I don't know about .did Fred and Rachel have someone keep the business open ?
Hello,

His 3 sons now run the business.

https://wellssportstore.com/
Posted By: DSchrank Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 08/08/23 10:21 AM
The stock work looks like it may have been by Bob Szeda of RMS Customs. He has done/does a lot of work with the Wells. He also does a lot with Danny Petersen of Classsic Barrels.
Posted By: buckstix Re: WHO BUILT THESE CUSTOM RIFLES ? - 08/08/23 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by DSchrank
The stock work looks like it may have been by Bob Szeda of RMS Customs. He has done/does a lot of work with the Wells. He also does a lot with Danny Petersen of Classsic Barrels.
Hello,
I emailed them to ask .. thanks
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com