doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ghostrider Rook rifle - 02/03/23 02:27 PM
I posted a few pictures under the classified area looking for some ammunition. I have managed to located some 25-20 SS but am still looking for a box of original 295 or 300 Rook. Would like to fill the holes in the case. I have ordered the necessary reloading components to load for the 300 Rook.
I thought I would post a few pictures here to get feedback on this rifle that I recently purchased.
Having looked on the internet it seems to be one of the nicest ones I have found so far.
Its a 3 barrel set, the other barrel is a barrel modified for a 410.
The rifle needs some additional cleaning, with the only real modification other than the barrel is the addition of wscope mounts. I have added a unertl scope I had just to see how it fit.
I will add additional pictures later today.

URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/70715_600x400/][Linked Image from jpgbox.com][/URL]

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/70717_600x400/][Linked Image from jpgbox.com][/URL]
Posted By: HalfaDouble Re: Rook rifle - 02/03/23 07:09 PM
So, so nice!
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Rook rifle - 02/12/23 02:55 PM
I would appreciate thoughts on what antique rifle scope would be appropriate on this rifle.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Rook rifle - 02/12/23 03:52 PM
I think the rifle is older than most, if not all of the scopes associated with Unertl style mounts. Depending on the exact design of the blocks you might put a Winchester A5 or B5 on it. A Unerte small game scope would also be appropriate. A Malcomb style would require drilling for different blocks and spacing. I'd buy a Winchester B5 from MVA. Depending on whether you would hunt or target shoot with it, I would choose between two styles of mounts that match the scope.
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Rook rifle - 02/12/23 06:29 PM
Thank you for this information.
Posted By: Parabola Re: Rook rifle - 02/12/23 09:52 PM
The Unertl scope is a bit top heavy on an English rook rifle.

There were not many British made scopes around in its day. Aldis made scopes, and between the wars produced scopes similar to those they had made for British sniper rifles but with somewhat longer tubes. They were straight sided with an ocular bell.

A Winchester A5 would work, but your best bet might be one of the longer early Weaver .22 scopes like a B4 or B6 with the front ring clamped close to the front of the tube to match your base spacing.
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Rook rifle - 02/14/23 02:58 PM
Thank you for the thoughts on the scope. I will be looking for something to mount on the rifle.
Posted By: Parabola Re: Rook rifle - 02/22/23 03:48 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lot 700A in the forthcoming Holts sale.

The scope is a Voightlander Skopar Beta, probably Pre First World War
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Rook rifle - 02/22/23 04:55 PM
A Zeiss Zielkline 2 3/4 x would be a nice size for a Rook rifle.
Mike
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Rook rifle - 02/23/23 04:56 AM
Yes either one of these scopes would be a nice fit. Unfortunately finding one at a fair price it seems is a challenge. Im in no rush so Im sure something will come along.
On another note the owner found another barrel so I now have 4. A 410, 2 25-20 Single shots, and the .295 ( 300) I found out after chamber casting and slugging the bore had been very nicely converted to 22 Hornet.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Rook rifle - 02/23/23 04:05 PM
An original Lyman Alaskan might work as well. If I recall correctly, someone did a later production of that scope as well, which might have better quality glass and waterproofing.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Rook rifle - 02/23/23 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Remington40x
An original Lyman Alaskan might work as well. If I recall correctly, someone did a later production of that scope as well, which might have better quality glass and waterproofing.

Leupold 'Alaskan' same 7/8" dia and features, looks, etc.
Made in the 90's IIRC and great 'scope. I have a 2.5X version.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Rook rifle - 02/24/23 03:34 PM
Simpson Ltd. has a KARL KAHLES, TELORAR 4X, marked JOH Springer, and an Oigee Berlin 2 1/2 X scope under Firearms Accessories, each listed at $300 and requiring some cleaning and other work.
They also have a Lyman Alaskan 7/8" tube scope listed at almost $900. I have no connection to Simpson.
Mike
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: Rook rifle - 02/25/23 02:34 AM
Beware of some of these older scopes. While fine pieces of equipment finding parts and/or someone to do proper repair work is difficult. I have an older Swarovski fixed power that needs work and no one stateside will touch it including the factory. Proceed cautiously if you go this route.
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Rook rifle - 02/25/23 04:52 AM
Thank you guys for the continuing sharing of information.
Posted By: tim simbari Re: Rook rifle - 03/01/23 10:24 PM
IMHO any internal adjustment scope is going to look out of place.
One of the early Stevens scopes would look nice and period correct…..couple right now on Ebay.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com