doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: earlyriser Question about McFarland buttplates - 11/24/22 09:19 PM
Does anyone have experience purchasing McFarland buttplates from this source? https://riflemax.com/

I'm assuming this is the actual manufacturer; however, Samurai LLC doesn't sound very American. I really like the shape and build of these. Brownells previously carried them; however, they've indicated them as "out of stock" for years.

In this old thread (https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...rds=mcfarland&Search=true#Post243433) Steven Dodd Hughes speaks highly of the McFarlands. Any input is appreciated!
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Question about McFarland buttplates - 11/24/22 10:47 PM
They look suspiciously like they are cast, including the checkering. If true, I question the price. However, the screws look "turned" and the price for them doesn't seem out of line.
Mike
I have, believe they are cast, very high quality. Just call Max McFarland and ask. About the only thing around anymore unless you have a source for older buttplates which might cost as much or more.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Question about McFarland buttplates - 11/25/22 03:04 AM
Originally Posted by prairie ghost
I have, believe they are cast, very high quality. Just call Max McFarland and ask. About the only thing around anymore unless you have a source for older buttplates which might cost as much or more.

I believe Glenn Fewless was making similar buttplates. I don't know if he still does.
Posted By: Hoot4570 Re: Question about McFarland buttplates - 11/25/22 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by earlyriser
... however, Samurai LLC doesn't sound very American.

They show as being in Grand Junction, CO. But I have not dealt with them.
Posted By: SKB Re: Question about McFarland buttplates - 11/25/22 03:31 PM
I just installed one on a rifle, smooth plate, no checkering and it does not appear to be cast.

I have a huge pile of vintage buttplates bought at auction in the UK if anyone cannot find what they need, I may be able to help. Some are new old stock, others used.
Steve, do you have anything similar to G&H without a trapdoor? PM pictures if you can.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Question about McFarland buttplates - 11/26/22 06:55 PM
Cast parts often change color with time after bluing. You might want to rust blue them instead.
Posted By: SamW Re: Question about McFarland buttplates - 11/28/22 04:48 PM
Stan McFarland was a very good friend for many years. I visited his shop many times and saw the form he used to press the butplates. Don't remember about the checkering but seems like his son Max was doing that for a time.

His son Max continues the butplates.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com