doublegunshop.com - home
I have been enjoying this gun for some time. It is scarce and takes getting used to to have that follow up shot when you have to slide the pistol grip backwards to reload for the second shot. When I load it with 2 inch shells, I can get 7 in the magazine and it is ready for 2 limits of grouse...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Beautiful and very unusual. Looks like you have figured out the trick to using it also.
I also got within lethal range of a jake turkey and shot him with one of those 2 inch #8 shells...

Great hunts and really nice photos.
Nice ..... Not familiar with this action.
Could you post a picture of the gun with the action open?
Originally Posted by LRF
Nice ..... Not familiar with this action.
Could you post a picture of the gun with the action open?

I have one question. If the trigger moves with the mechanism is this a slam fire? Great old gun.
Originally Posted by prairie ghost
I have one question. If the trigger moves with the mechanism is this a slam fire? Great old gun.

In all the years I’ve had it, I have never tried…
Thanks, very interesting. A question please, what material was used to make the pistol grip itself? Is it some kind of molded material.
Well done with your shooting! Those are so counter intuitive to work the action I'm afraid I would have a nice single shot.
Here is this morning's take on Blue Grouse. The grip is walnut and made to exact tolerances. The whole gun is an engineering masterpiece, made in 1896 when everything was hand fit. This is a takedown shotgun and it is absolutely rock solid when it is assembled...

I see there are at least 2 of these for sale on GI and one of them is a cut way salesman sample and the other is factory engraved. What I noticed of interest is that both have Damascus barrels.
Shrapnel is your barrel Damascus?
It is damascus and I also have a cutaway version and a folding shotgun...

Sorry for all the questions. I am curious I guess. I see your gun is 12 ga and you mentioned 2" shells, is that the chamber depth? And you must load your own, so can you reveal your recipe for the Grouse loads?
Originally Posted by LRF
Thanks, very interesting. A question please, what material was used to make the pistol grip itself? Is it some kind of molded material.

The wrist grips for the Burgess shotguns were either wood or gutta percha. I have both styles. Kirk's cutaway model has the gutta percha grip. Much of the time, they are cracked (missing chunks) as his cutaway model demonstrates. Here's a photo of the gutta percha style on one of mine:

Lynn - you've held my Burgess folder in your hands - quite a few years ago now. It has the wood style grip.
As to the 2 inch shells, the gun is chambered 2 1/2 inches and I just bought a flat of 2 inch shells because I found them at a gun show and will shoot them in my old shotguns. They are loaded with 7/8 oz of shot.

Here is the folding shotgun and the holster made for keeping it concealed...

Kirk - I am really enjoying the photos. It's really cool to see these old Burgess shotguns get hunted - and doing a great job at it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com