doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gasgunner A Pair of Springfields - 04/25/22 02:39 PM
Just for fun, can anyone tell me what these two rifles have in common? Well, besides the obvious that they are both Springfields, although one is a 1922 and the other an 03. I think this will be an easy one for some on this forum. B. Steele and the gaseous flyer are not eligible to play. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Regards,
John
Posted By: DSchrank Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/25/22 06:10 PM
Are those Sedgley speed lock firing pin conversions?
Posted By: gasgunner Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/25/22 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by DSchrank
Are those Sedgley speed lock firing pin conversions?

Hi Dave,
The 1922 is an M1 and they have a headless firing pin. The 03 has a modified firing mechanism, but I guess I am not sure if it is a Sedgley or not. But no that is not the answer. My guess is it was done by a metal smith from the same state as the stockmaker was from. Think North Dave.

I'll pull it apart tonight and check it out.

John
Posted By: Newton 1131 Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/25/22 10:00 PM
How far North? Maybe Stevens Point Wisconsin?
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/25/22 10:34 PM
interesting way of "restocking a rifle"
Posted By: Herschel Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/25/22 10:56 PM
Both have headless firing pins. The 1903 has a reversed safety but that does not answer the question.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/25/22 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by 375whelenIMP

How so?
Posted By: galen Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/26/22 02:18 AM
Bolt knob checkering by Emil Koshollek?

The top rifle made for Art Vinje by Alvin Linden is my absolute favorite!
Posted By: gasgunner Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/26/22 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by 375whelenIMP

Not exactly, but you are thinking in the right direction.

John
Posted By: gasgunner Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/26/22 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by galen
Bolt knob checkering by Emil Koshollek?

The top rifle made for Art Vinje by Alvin Linden is my absolute favorite!

Yes and yes. But how do we know about the rifle?

John
Posted By: gasgunner Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/26/22 11:02 AM
Pulled the 03 apart, it is just a headless national match assembly.

John
Posted By: gasgunner Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/26/22 03:52 PM
The answer I was looking for is that both rifles were pictured in Monty Kennedys book Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks. This book was a follow up to Lindens three volume set on restocking a rifle. While the book is authored by Kennedy, there is a lot of Linden work as well as examples and text from many of the top gunsmiths of the day including Brownell, Shelhamer, Mews, Goens, Hearn and of course Kennedy, as well as others. The book is a great resource for the student of pre-war and early post-war custom rifles. I also found it a great text book for learning checkering, although some would argue otherwise. As a kid I pretty much taught myself how to checker through the instruction in this book. While I am no James Anderson or Jerry Fisher, I think I do a fair to middling job of checkering when I get the chance.

I searched off and on for the Hornet for 35 years or so. It finally just kind of dropped in my lap. It was still in Wisconsin where it was built. Although G&H did the Hornet conversion including there neat little magazine box, the stock work was done by Linden. Who did the engraving is likely lost to time.

Anyway, I hope some of you found this interesting. If you have any questions about either rifle feel free to ask.

John
Posted By: Tom Davis Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/26/22 08:34 PM
Thank you for sharing these very cool rifles! I miss these “guess who made it” posts.

I recall Michael commenting on Linden’s inletting, any thoughts on how it compares to other stock makers?

-Tom
Posted By: Greg G Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/27/22 11:47 AM
I recognized the gun in the first picture, from Kennedys book, but the close-up of the engraved bolt handle on the other gun didn't register. Had it been the full size picture, I'd have immediately known it was from the book. I've had my copy since the mid 60's, bought it when I was teaching myself to checker. I think I memorized every checkering pattern in it. Like gasgunner, I learned enough to become pretty good, but not great. Sadly, at 70, arthritis has pretty much put a stop to my checkering and stock making.
Another book showing some pre 1950 stocks and checkering is Dunlaps "Gunsmithing". The photos aren't as good as in Kennedys book, but while I was learning, those books were the only ones I knew of.
Posted By: gasgunner Re: A Pair of Springfields - 04/27/22 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tom Davis
Thank you for sharing these very cool rifles! I miss these “guess who made it” posts.

I recall Michael commenting on Linden’s inletting, any thoughts on how it compares to other stock makers?

-Tom

The 03 is just average as I recall, been a while since I had it apart. The Hornet however is very good, not just in the inletting but the overall shaping and execution of the stock is much better than the 03. I have not seen a lot of LInden stocks in the flesh, but this Hornet is a cut above most of them that I have seen. Maybe made for a special client who knows but it holds it own against any of the pre-war makers.

Greg, I didn't want it to be to easy. wink Lots of Owen and Shelhamer work in the Dunlap book.

John
Posted By: Thaine Re: A Pair of Springfields - 05/06/22 08:40 PM
John,
Thanks for sharing. A pair of beautiful rifles and it is great to see them preserved.
Thaine
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com