doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rocky mtn bill rifle reboring - 04/13/21 04:52 PM
It seems as if almost no one does this work nowadays, especially in a reasonable time frame. Perhaps it's an opportunity for the right person to undertake this service. I can't help but think the country would support one or two shops that did good work.
Posted By: eightbore Re: rifle reboring - 04/13/21 09:36 PM
Is it possible that rebarreling may be more efficient and labor saving than reboring? I don't know the answer, just asking.
Posted By: LRF Re: rifle reboring - 04/13/21 10:37 PM
I considered re-boring on my project that I have been working on. The time frame for re-boring wasn't all that excessive and the cost was basically the same as for a new barrel. The biggest issue was that the results were not guaranteed. I understand the re-bore's issues with the unknowns associated with old barrels, old steel, so not blaming them, however I knew the new barrel results would be guaranteed. So, I think eightbore is spot on.
Posted By: LRF Re: rifle reboring - 04/13/21 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by rocky mtn bill
It seems as if almost no one does this work nowadays, especially in a reasonable time frame. Perhaps it's an opportunity for the right person to undertake this service. I can't help but think the country would support one or two shops that did good work.

Bill, please re-read your post and I think if you think about it you have answered your own questions. The key terms are "reasonable" hmmmm, what does that mean? "Opportunity", yep jump right in if you have $50K to $100K to just buy minimum equipment. And then there is the question do you even have the faintest idea what you are doing. Its not an easy task requiring much experience (This is not taught in school).

I understand you frustration but face it the world has moved on. AR15 barrel are use and throw away. (Classics rifles are the dying trend.) I don't like it but I am over 70 and anyone in this generation is going to depart nearer then furtherer.

Buy a new barrel or wait for the re-borer to get you job done
Posted By: Hammergun Re: rifle reboring - 04/13/21 11:05 PM
http://www.35caliber.com/

JES Rifle Reboring. Call him and discuss. Leave a message if no answer. He will call you back. Fast and inexpensive.
Posted By: LRF Re: rifle reboring - 04/14/21 12:05 AM
Classic Barrel

At the time I was thinking about re-boring I talked to Dan P at Classic Rifle & Gunworks. I would read his website as he does a good job of explaining the possible issues. Be your own guide in choosing a service.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: rifle reboring - 04/14/21 12:12 AM
LRF, Used equipment is probably available. I agree it's not a path to riches, but not everyone is into disposable rifles, and a new barrel, which is probably the best choice for most projects, simply isn't desirable when the barrel in question isn't a standard item.. Preserving a complex profile, and saving original markings are sometimes the essence of the effort. Many here are not put off by a project whose motive is nostalgic more than utilitarian. I think there may be people drawn to exotic work just as there are folks drawn to exotic firearms.
Posted By: WBLDon Re: rifle reboring - 04/14/21 12:46 AM
I have used JES for a rebore on 1917 Eddystone in 30.06 that someone had butchered & I picked up for a song and prayer as a project gun. I always wanted a .35 Whelen and figured this would be a good candidate. Came out so nice I sent them a Ruger International full stock in 30.06 I had in the safe and had it punched out to .35 Whelen as well, coiuldn't be happier. Trying to find an excuse to do another one... LOL..

I would have no reservations recommending them. As mentioned above if you don't get an answer leave a message and they will call you back. They were very straight forward and helpful with both of my projects. Turn around time was very good at the time and the price was very very fair.

WBLDon
Posted By: Hoot4570 Re: rifle reboring - 04/14/21 12:18 PM
Third vote for JES here. My brother and I have sent 4 or 5 rifles to him to be bored. All have been returned nicely done, fairly priced and without delay. I have at least 2 more I want done but have been directing funds to another project lately.
Posted By: LRF Re: rifle reboring - 04/14/21 05:47 PM
LRF, Used equipment is probably available. I agree it's not a path to riches, but not everyone is into disposable rifles, and a new barrel, which is probably the best choice for most projects, simply isn't desirable when the barrel in question isn't a standard item.. Preserving a complex profile, and saving original markings are sometimes the essence of the effort. Many here are not put off by a project whose motive is nostalgic more than utilitarian. I think there may be people drawn to exotic work just as there are folks drawn to exotic firearms.

Hmmm, so your going to jump in and re-bore barrels? If you did you could control the term, "reasonable" yourself.
Posted By: eightbore Re: rifle reboring - 04/14/21 05:51 PM
The gunsmith mentioned here rebores to .35 caliber from slightly smaller bores. Is there someone who will rebore from .22 to a larger bore?
Posted By: HalfaDouble Re: rifle reboring - 04/14/21 09:00 PM
LRF posted https://cutrifle.com/reboring.html
Posted By: Newton 1131 Re: rifle reboring - 04/15/21 01:02 AM
RMB, it looks like there are still a few guys out their reboring. Try typing into the google machine, walla!!! There they are. But with upcoming govt. policies and more tax’s on small businesses it’s a crapshoot who could survive if any. So? Why would anyone want to seek small business opportunity any or . Best to order your rebore from one of the above posted links now, don’t think WalMart or Costco is going to offer rifle rebore services. But, once the little guys are out of the way, who knows? Good luck!!!
Posted By: craigd Re: rifle reboring - 04/15/21 01:52 AM
....a new barrel, which is probably the best choice for most projects, simply isn't desirable when the barrel in question isn't a standard item.. Preserving a complex profile, and saving original markings are sometimes the essence of the effort. Many here are not put off by a project whose motive is nostalgic more than utilitarian. I think there may be people drawn to exotic work just as there are folks drawn to exotic firearms.
I believe a significant problem with this thinking is that one ends up with a non standard caliber and modern rifling, along with a most likely hideous new stamp on the barrel. That concept might turn a classic or antique into a utilitarian piece? Lining isn't a bad idea at all, for some situations.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: rifle reboring - 04/15/21 02:14 AM
Why assume a non-standard caliber? Most rifles came in more than one. Example: my son has an Oberndorf Mauser stocked by a good British maker. It's an 8x57 with a worn out bore. To make a 9.3x62 via reboring will give it a new lease on life and a better caliber too. I just didn't set out to discuss relining, OK?
Posted By: mc Re: rifle reboring - 04/15/21 02:39 PM
Why a 9.3x63 ? A 35 Whelan would be much better and less bore removed
Posted By: SKB Re: rifle reboring - 04/15/21 02:45 PM
Is Classic Barrel still in business? I know at one point the backlog was years long and phone and email both went un-answered.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: rifle reboring - 04/15/21 03:08 PM
MC, Because Mauser never made a 35 Whelan and also because there's no diference in ballistics.
Posted By: WBLDon Re: rifle reboring - 04/15/21 04:50 PM
To Address Craigd,
When JES did mine I asked they mark it under the barrel up by the action if they felt they needed to mark it as I have an engraver that I have do all my barrel markings when I have them done. They marked it under the barrel up by the action as requested and I had the two the did engraved where you would normally see the caliber. So the markings do not have to be Ugly and unlike a lined barrel there is no tell tail ring at the muzzle. I would not hesitate having them do a custom rifle or one of value if the bore was shot out.

WBLDon
Posted By: LRF Re: rifle reboring - 04/15/21 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by SKB
Is Classic Barrel still in business? I know at one point the backlog was years long and phone and email both went un-answered.

I talked to them last fall when I started my current project. Just called them and they answer the phone. They were saying about 16 weeks as I remember. Haven't had any contact since I decided to go with the new Krieger barrel
Posted By: craigd Re: rifle reboring - 04/16/21 03:27 AM
I appreciate the follow up comment about the work around with the barrel marking. I was responding to Bill's thought about complexity and uniqueness, which in my mind is lost if that barrel is altered. My personal preference would be to rebarrel a rifle, and retain the original barrel with the rifle. Some rifles have serial numbers and histories and unique chambers/rifling that would be lost, a decision that should be different as the individual. In my mind, 9.3mm would be non standard for an original 8mm rifle, but not all 8mm rifles are equal. That is not a personal attack or criticism against Bill, just an opinion.

My own small tale was brought up by Steve. I have seen some very nice results by cutrifle, and I was thinking a not so special 30-06 sporter could be opened up to a 9.3, but I was just not interested in the potential of going off the grid just as I sent something off in that direction. I hope Bill isn't upset by lined barrel comments, but well done, there is no muzzle ring, and maybe has application to restore some obsolete bores and chambers. No, I do not believe it is a substitute for a rebore, but it may be an option to leave the exterior of an uncommon antique barrel unaltered.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: rifle reboring - 04/16/21 12:02 PM
I have three rifles now that have lined bores, and all work well. Some people reline high-intensity calibers, but I think it's not widely done. Rebarreling can become very expensive when It involves unusual contours and refitting sights, etc. Look, either way the rifle is altered. In many cases, reboring is the least obtrusive method. To each his own.
Posted By: mc Re: rifle reboring - 05/02/21 01:51 PM
At sportsman warehouse 10 boxes of 35 Whelan not a single box of 9.3 anything
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com