doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rocky mtn bill C. Sharps Arms High Wall - 04/04/21 08:58 PM
Anyone here have experience with this action? Who makes the best replica today?
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: C. Sharps Arms High Wall - 04/05/21 05:40 AM
Bill,

When I think "High Wall" I think of the Winchester 1885.

Then there are the original Sharps rifles, the most popular among sportsman are the 1869, 1874 and the 1875.

Then there is the current C. Sharps Arms rifle company which makes (Winchester) 1885 High Walls, Sharps 1874 & 1875.

So, a C Sharp High Wall is a replica of the Winchester 1885.

Is that what you're asking about? Replica 1885's?

Rob
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: C. Sharps Arms High Wall - 04/05/21 01:07 PM
Rob, What I would like to know is what has been users' experience with this action. How well does it function? How well is it fitted and finished? How accurate a replica is it? Thanks.
Posted By: craigd Re: C. Sharps Arms High Wall - 04/05/21 05:08 PM
Since it should be close by, maybe swing over and look at the Montana Vintage Arms version, claimed to be parts interchangable with originals. It may come down to the look you want, C Sharps may only be available thick sided?

Of the handful few of each that I've played with, I would give the MVA a slight subjective edge in fit and finish, and function smoothness. If you go with the C Sharps and are doing a custom build, you might inquire with them about fitting your barrel, dovetails, drilling and tapping, case coloring, might even be able to look through semi inletted blanks to see if anything catches your attention. Best of luck with it.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: C. Sharps Arms High Wall - 04/05/21 08:04 PM
craigd, Thanks for your comments. I suspected that MVA might be better quality, and at the same time I like thick-wall actions. Maybe I could fit a C Sharps action with MVA DST, which is another feature I prefer.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com