doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Marks_21 Hoffman humor - 01/12/20 03:38 PM
Enjoy

https://vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1580973#Post1580973
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Hoffman humor - 01/12/20 04:18 PM
$8000. You gotta be kidding, What tells me this "seller" needs cash, is his offer to accept other lower priced guns in trade, or other items:Chain Saw, Roto-tiller, etc.?? and cash "to boot". Caveat emptor-- RWTF
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: Hoffman humor - 01/12/20 09:39 PM
It's sad to see such a nice gun meet such a fate. I hope it ends up in the hands of a collector eventually.

I always wonder about these classified ads people. "DONT CALL ME I AM BUSY" to busy to get paid 8k???
Posted By: keith Re: Hoffman humor - 01/15/20 04:22 AM
Judging by the inletting of the replacement stock, it looks like he already owns a chain saw.
Posted By: SKB Re: Hoffman humor - 01/15/20 10:43 AM
If it was priced correctly that would make a hell of a project considering he has the original wood. Look at the price of original Hoffman rifles. Bought for 5k it could be fun.
Posted By: Flygas Re: Hoffman humor - 01/15/20 04:54 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB
If it was priced correctly that would make a hell of a project considering he has the original wood. Look at the price of original Hoffman rifles. Bought for 5k it could be fun.

Wow! $5,000 definitely makes you the high bidder, Steve. Yes, you see very high advertised Hoffman prices but they haven’t been selling for anywhere near those values for quite a few years. The big buyers that were formerly in the Hoffman market all have moved on and there are very few buyers still interested. I’ve owned a pretty high percentage of the Hoffmans over the years, they were my true passion for a long time, but I no longer feel comfortable paying top dollar anymore.
Posted By: SKB Re: Hoffman humor - 01/15/20 04:59 PM
I guess I should have said assuming you can repair the stock. I still think worthy of putting right, if priced right.
Posted By: Flygas Re: Hoffman humor - 01/15/20 05:23 PM
I agree, it’s such a shame. And you are certainly one of the best candidates to make it right. But honestly, given the current (ACTUAL, not advertised) Hoffman market, that gun wouldn’t even bring near $5,000 if it was original. Lacking the bottom metal engraving makes a big difference, too. The most recent Hoffman I bought is an average condition (say 75-80%), with no serious issues, .30-06 with extensive Kornbrath engraving that I paid $2,500 for. I think it was fairly bought but by no means did I “steal” it. The advertised prices that are out there now just don’t reflect the current market. Years ago, there were a couple of deep-pocketed buyers who kept the prices pretty high. But once they moved on to other interests, the asking prices never really corrected. Sellers just don’t want to accept the fact that there are very few buyers now days. Maybe that will change in the future, but it’s a way off.
Posted By: SKB Re: Hoffman humor - 01/15/20 05:25 PM
Thanks for the input on the Hoffman market, way outside my forte as you can all see. Sounds similar to the British double rifle market currently, things are not selling for what they once did.
Steve
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: Hoffman humor - 05/22/20 01:47 AM
Check again. $1200. I’m tempted but lazy
Posted By: Huvius Re: Hoffman humor - 05/22/20 02:39 PM
He won't ship...
Posted By: eightbore Re: Hoffman humor - 05/24/20 10:37 AM
Not much of a ride to Blacksburg. If I lived in Blacksburg, I would be all over it. Why doesn't he post a picture of the rifle now assembled in the Hoffman stock?
Posted By: SKB Re: Hoffman humor - 05/24/20 10:47 AM
Pretty sure this one is on the way to Colorado now.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Hoffman humor - 05/24/20 11:58 AM
Congratulations.
Posted By: LRF Re: Hoffman humor - 05/24/20 06:40 PM
Pretty sure this one is on the way to Colorado now.

SKB, Congrats, I believe you and your talents have made a wise decision
Posted By: SKB Re: Hoffman humor - 05/24/20 06:43 PM
A client/friend picked it up but it is coming to my shop. The stock break and attempted repair is worse than hoped for but for the price it was hard to pass up. I do look forward to its arrival. Obviously the stock will get duplicated for future reference.
Steve
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: Hoffman humor - 05/24/20 08:32 PM
I “hated” to pass, but as a lefty I also try to not fall for every decent deal on a cool right handed set up. I also have a similar Hoffman I still haven’t put right so a second wasn’t the best plan I think.
Posted By: SKB Re: Hoffman humor - 05/24/20 09:03 PM
Too many project guns?

Is that even possible? wink

Thanks for the heads up and good luck on your Hoffman project.
Steve
Posted By: SKB Re: Hoffman humor - 07/02/20 10:37 AM
So the Hoffman arrived, the stock break was or I should say the attempted repair, was worse than hoped for. Nice trap buttplate and engraved grip cap, all the metal is excellent, over all a pretty good deal. I'm not sure what will become of this one, I may buy it and re-stock it depending upon what my client decides.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Hoffman humor - 07/03/20 02:31 PM
So the Hoffman arrived, the stock break was or I should say the attempted repair, was worse than hoped for. Nice trap buttplate and engraved grip cap, all the metal is excellent, over all a pretty good deal. I'm not sure what will become of this one, I may buy it and re-stock it depending upon what my client decides.

It would be great to have a start to finish restoration thread on this rifle.
Posted By: 257rob Re: Hoffman humor - 07/08/20 01:57 PM

Any better pictures on this rifle and the bad stock repair? Interesting rifle too bad on the break.
Posted By: SKB Re: Hoffman humor - 10/13/20 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: 257rob

Any better pictures on this rifle and the bad stock repair? Interesting rifle too bad on the break.

It looks as though this one may go to a new home but not before I restock it for a client.

Posted By: Marks_21 Re: Hoffman humor - 02/03/21 10:44 AM
Well, I guess the joke’s on me:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889956239
Posted By: SKB Re: Hoffman humor - 02/03/21 10:52 AM
That one brought more than I would have guessed. I sold it to a client who was going to re-stock it but he changed his mind. The metal is very nice on it.
Posted By: xausa Re: Hoffman humor - 02/03/21 05:30 PM
Steve,

Would you care to venture a guess as to what caused the damage? I don't recall ever seeing a stock broken that way, and i have seen quite a few broken stocks.
It's hard to believe that Hoffman would use a stock blank with a faulty grain flow through the pistol grip. Was that a factor?

Bill
Posted By: SKB Re: Hoffman humor - 02/03/21 09:43 PM
I really don't know how that break happened but the grain layout was fine. One of the more bizarre stock breaks I have encountered.
Steve
Posted By: Flygas Re: Hoffman humor - 02/06/21 05:15 AM
Originally Posted by Marks_21
Well, I guess the joke’s on me:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889956239

Wow! For an unengraved gun?! That’s not a whole lot less than I would have expected that gun to bring without a badly broken stock.
Posted By: Krag 1902 Re: Hoffman humor - 02/07/21 05:10 PM
It must have been around 1990 I answered an ad in Shotgun News for a batch of Arms and the Man magazines. The mailing address on them was for L.E. Wilson in Cashmere, WA. I also got all of the American Rifleman 1929-1940 from this (his) estate. The AATM were from 1917-1922. All this stuff has been a godsend for the past thirty years.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com