doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: prairie ghost Lyman 103 - 05/12/18 04:53 PM
Since this is the classic rifle forum hopefully this won't ruffle any feathers. Anybody have an idea of the value of a Lyman 103 windage adjustable sight for a 1903 Springfield attached to the cocking piece. I have one I am considering selling and need a fair value. Since there are lots of classic Springfield lovers out there hopefully someone can help. I can post a picture if that would help. Thanks.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Lyman 103 - 05/12/18 06:50 PM
Here is one that sold on ebay,

ebay Lyman 103
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: Lyman 103 - 05/12/18 09:05 PM
Interesting, I searched Ebay this morning prior to posting and this did not show up. Mine is exactly like it except maybe a little nicer. Thanks PhysDoc.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Lyman 103 - 05/14/18 03:20 AM
In today's world, how would we get such a nice sight plugged into our cocking pieces? Who would cut the dovetails? I would love to use such a sight, but don't know how to have it installed.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Lyman 103 - 05/14/18 08:31 AM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
In today's world, how would we get such a nice sight plugged into our cocking pieces? Who would cut the dovetails? I would love to use such a sight, but don't know how to have it installed.

Well, the easiest solution is to buy one already installed on a cocking piece. However, anyone with a milling machine and a reasonable knowledge of machining should be able to cut a dovetail slot. The person doing the work would need the sight as well, to measure the depth needed for the cut and maybe do some hand fitting.

Vintage gunsmithing books from the 30's, like J.V. Howe's book suggest also modifying the bolt shroud to include include a spring
loaded plunger to reduce an element of play.
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: Lyman 103 - 05/14/18 11:39 AM
Another solution, this one a Mauser.

Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Lyman 103 - 05/15/18 12:42 AM
very nice, I don't see a barrel attached, so I assume that this is a work in progress, I would love to learn more.
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: Lyman 103 - 05/15/18 01:18 AM
Just pictures I gleaned from the internet years ago for future reference. An elegant solution to a prickly problem. I've seen a Springfield, same problem different solution. If I can find it I will post a picture.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com