doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PhysDoc Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/19/18 01:02 PM
Dan just acquired this rifle and asked me to post some pictures.

Posted By: Jim Kobe Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/19/18 01:27 PM
Really neat! I wouldn't even attempt a pattern like that

Jim
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/19/18 01:31 PM
What does the whole rifle look like?
Posted By: LRF Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/19/18 02:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Kobe
I wouldn't even attempt a pattern like that

Jim

smile
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/19/18 03:23 PM
Lily gilding~~but very nicely done!
Those fleur's are much classier than most.

Is that a Krag!!!
I too, would like to see the rifle.
Posted By: LRF Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/19/18 04:50 PM
"Lily gilding"...haven't heard that term in many a year. Very fitting
I agree the fleur's are nicely shaped but certainly wondering what the point is unless the maker was practicing.
Yes I think it's a Krag which even adds more to my wonderment. A Krag????
Posted By: Cary Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/19/18 06:07 PM

Jim

Mr. Kobe, Having seen numerous examples of your work on Accurate Reloading I can't believe there is anything on a gunstock you are incapable of doing beautifully. You're one of my hero's.
Posted By: DanLH Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/20/18 05:21 AM
Thanks for posting Fred, we have a military cast bullet rifle match tomorrow but I will try to get a photo of the whole gun to post. I bought this one just for the neat checkering and have no idea who may have done it. It came from OR.
Dan
Posted By: Jim Kobe Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/20/18 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Cary

Jim

Mr. Kobe, Having seen numerous examples of your work on Accurate Reloading I can't believe there is anything on a gunstock you are incapable of doing beautifully. You're one of my hero's.

Thank you for the kind post
Posted By: eightbore Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/20/18 03:57 PM
"What is the point of the fleurs?" Where do I start?
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/21/18 09:11 AM
More pictures

Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/21/18 12:46 PM
I could take or leave the design on the hand guard. But it is Definitely high quality work. A cery interesting sporter convertion.
Posted By: Vall Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/21/18 06:42 PM
Sometimes oddities like this, showing great craftsmanship appeal to me. Would I have it done? No, but since it's obviously been done a very long time ago I find something very interesting about it. If I was a Krag fan I'd want to own it just because it's unique, and well done.
Posted By: WJL Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/22/18 12:23 PM
Well I think a Krag is entitled to a little Lily gilding every now and then. Well done except for the schnauble which I do not care for.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/22/18 04:33 PM
My Krag is a wonderful Stoeger sporter, uncheckered. I would love to see this checkering pattern on my Stoeger Krag.
Posted By: gasgunner Re: Neat checkering on a military stock - 01/22/18 10:19 PM
Hard to believe that the same someone who had the artistic ability to make those fluer's, also shaped that Schnabel. Nice find.

John
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com