doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Factory ammo in an 03 - 04/18/16 02:34 AM
I have a sporterized, '03, Rock Island rifle. I am considering loaning it to a colleague who wants to hunt pigs in TX (I assume over bait).

The rifle has the original arsenal barrel on it.

Were I to be wanting to hunt this rifle, I would buy a custom mould for it and use a flat-nosed, gas-checked bullet of some sort for that job. And I may yet do that. But I'm unlikely to ever hunt a bolt rifle so I wondering if there is an off-the-shelf ammo, undoubtedly copper jacketed, that would be sufficient for this purpose and safe in this rifle. Could anyone make a recommendation or two or are there none?

Thanks,
Brent
Posted By: skeettx Re: Factory ammo in an 03 - 04/18/16 02:47 AM
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/18937-Low-number-Springfield-1903-rifles
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Factory ammo in an 03 - 04/18/16 02:53 AM
Yes I'm aware of this issue. It is not one that Michael Petrov agreed with at all and I tend to side with him as such. I know this is highly controversial topic that I don't want to debate given the inability to objectively assess this independently.

What I don't know is whether these rifles, in good nick, can withstand any and all modern factory loads. Smokeless cartridges really aren't my game.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Factory ammo in an 03 - 04/18/16 02:58 AM
The answer is above in the link
Low number Rock Islands NO
Other than low number in good condition YES

I have shot full up loads in my low number gun, but
would NEVER lend a gun to a friend that has such history

Mike

I do not know the pressure of this low/managed recoil ammo
http://chuckhawks.com/federal_low_recoil.htm
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/...047700363509.do
Posted By: WJL Re: Factory ammo in an 03 - 04/18/16 11:46 AM
An '03 in good shape is safe with any factory ammunition available. The possible exception would be the "Low Number" rifles but even this is controversial as you noted. If your rifle is a high number don't worry. The rifle is at least as safe as a pre 64 Mod 70.

Jerry Liles
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Factory ammo in an 03 - 04/18/16 09:54 PM
I would be very surprised if the rifle would have "lived" this long, if it was dangerous. Most had the bolt replaced, when the problem was identified.
Mike
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Factory ammo in an 03 - 04/18/16 10:01 PM
I was just searching through some posts on this forum and the rifle was fired by Michael with his pet load of 44 gr of 4895 and a 150 gr FMJ bullet of some sort (Rem Corelok?). I don't know what pressure that would have produced but it is another benchmark for that specific rifle.
Posted By: WJL Re: Factory ammo in an 03 - 04/19/16 01:03 AM
That's a rather low moderate load and certainly under the load used for M2 Ball ammo which was about 46 or 47 grains of IMR4895 with a 150 grain bullet. Should be very pleasant to shoot at around 2600fps.

The Lee manual shows a max load for this powder of 53grs at 3000fps and 56700psi. My old Hornady manual shows almost 49grs IMR4895 as the top load at 2900fps.

In my Springfield sporter I load 55grs H4350 with a 165gr bullet with no qualms. The manual shows a max of almost 59grs.

The '03 has been digesting these loads for a long, long time.

Jerry Liles
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com