doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: forester orientation of ramped sights - 11/01/14 06:03 PM
Take a look at the autumn 14 issue of the DGJ p.15 The Westley Richards ad pictures a bolt action that didn't look quite right to me. It took me a little while to realize the front sight is mounted with the ramp towards the muzzle. That looks odd and does not seem logical.

But I note that Dakota Arms mounts island rear site bases with the ramp towards the muzzle. I also recall some photos of Jerry Fisher in his shop with a rifle he was working on (taken by SDH and posted on this site) that also had an island rear sight base oriented with the ramp towards the muzzle. Why orient ramps towards the muzzle? Why not orient the ramps towards the action?
Posted By: keith Re: orientation of ramped sights - 11/01/14 06:15 PM
I haven't yet seen a rifle with the front sight ramp tapered toward the muzzle. I agree that it does not seem logical. But here is a picture of a revolver with the ramped front sight going the wrong way.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:Gun_Backfire.gif

edit: this won't post as a link for some reason so you'll have to copy it and paste it in your browser. Sorry.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: orientation of ramped sights - 11/02/14 04:30 AM
I can't ever remember taking any pics of Jerry Fisher in his workshop. You are going to have to post a pic?? I don't get DGJ, haven't for a decade or more.

BTW : I don't answer Why questions either: )
Posted By: Alvin Linden Re: orientation of ramped sights - 11/02/14 01:35 PM
[/quote]
Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
I can't ever remember taking any pics of Fisher in his workshop. You are going to have to post a pic?? I don't get DGJ, haven't for a decade or more.Jerry

BTW : I don't answer Why questions either: )

Forester: Take a look, at my comments over on the "Sedgley 22 Hornet 1922 Sporter" blog re SDH and you will see how appropriate my comments were/are.

p.s. To SDH...WHAT??????
Posted By: Gary Duffey Re: orientation of ramped sights - 11/03/14 08:57 PM
You can Google Westley Richards, look through images, and see them done this way as well as set back from the muzzle more than american built rifles. I once had a John Dickson 1903 M-S & J. Lang 1903 M-s both done in the same manner. Not that uncommon on English & Scottish rifles.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: orientation of ramped sights - 11/03/14 09:36 PM
The front sights on some maker's double rifles were mounted pretty far back to give room for the particular fixture they used in regulating the barrels.This might give the impression of a ramp mounted forward.
Mike
Posted By: Gary Duffey Re: orientation of ramped sights - 11/03/14 10:05 PM
I am not referring to a fixture used in regulation of double rifles. If you look specifically at Westley Richards bolt guns, Farquarson's, Martini's and many others you will see that the front sight is clearly mounted farther back than is typical of American rifles and often times is square with the barrel (more or less) and contoured toward the muzzle and on the muzzle end of the sight.
Posted By: Igorrock Re: orientation of ramped sights - 11/03/14 10:43 PM
Here is one good example; Westley Richards Best Grade in .318 AE. Nice rifle in original outfit except bud pad.

Posted By: Brittany Man Re: orientation of ramped sights - 11/04/14 12:29 AM
The WR rifle in question has the "Patent Westley Richards Foresight" that has a hood that folds to the rear.

If you go the WR website & look @ bolt action rifles they have a drop down box of options & a close up picture of it that shows the sight with the hood folded back. The shape of the ramp is self explanatory. I think folding the hood back also moves a larger "moon" sight into place for shooting in dim light.

A similar front sight is common on their double rifles also.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com