doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: WillS 35 Newton - 12/09/13 03:51 AM
I have a 1916 first model Newton , in the rare 35 Newton Caliber , all original and unaltered, , no stock cracks , even have the original sling and the correct leather take down case .My Bolt peep seems to be missing the tiny screw in aperature .It views now like a Ghost ring . Has anyone here made or know who could machine me a good copy of the screw in piece ? Are there any Newton Collectors , shooters here ? I am amazed these great guns do not have their own forum . Thanks
Posted By: Krag 1902 Re: 35 Newton - 12/09/13 04:05 PM
I once had a Newton missing the aperature and was able to screw in the smallest Lyman ( could have been a Marble's) aperature available. It worked. An old 256 I had was missing the aperature and someone had forced in the base of a rimfire shell ( 25 RF?) and puched a small peephole in it to work as an expedient. I never bothered to improve on that. You're fortunate to find a .35 in that condition. The original sling should be not leather but a web sling.
Posted By: Gary D. Re: 35 Newton - 12/09/13 04:11 PM
Contact the folks at "Apertures 'N More". I bet they can fit you out with what you need.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: 35 Newton - 12/09/13 08:09 PM
Wills, welcome to the forum.

If you will post the the diameter and TPI I'll look through my aperture box (must have a 50-100) and I'll see if I have one that will fit your rifle. When I get a rifle that has one I pull it off, likewise with any slings.
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 12/10/13 02:17 AM
THANK YOU !!! WILL MEASURE TOMORROW AND POST
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 12/10/13 02:21 AM
I forgot to add , yes the sling is a clip on web material , its the original sling with the correct name on it as well , I forget it at the moment . Bit its the same as mentioned in the Newton Book .
Posted By: xausa Re: 35 Newton - 12/10/13 02:27 PM
There is a gentleman who makes replica Rigby cocking piece sights, who can be reached at rusty42marlin@yahoo.com. He has had two Newton cocking piece sights of mine for some time now, using one as a model for reproducing the missing parts on the other. One, I believe, has a screw-in aperture. You might contact him on the off chance that he might be able to reproduce one for you.

I am not too impressed by the sights. They appear to be pretty wobbly. My Newtons generally came scoped: several with Redfield Sr. Mounts and Zeiss Zielklein scopes. My Model 1922 Newton is fitted with an early Lyman Alaskan scope.

Also, I believe Lyman 48 sights can be made to fit 1916 Newtons. At least one of mine is D&T for a receiver sight and the wood has been patched where one was removed.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: 35 Newton - 12/10/13 02:38 PM
The 35 Newton should be an interesting cartridge to load an shoot/hunt with,do you intend to do so?.
Mike
Posted By: xausa Re: 35 Newton - 12/10/13 03:39 PM
The .35 Newton is very similar to the old wildcat .35-.338 (sometimes referred to as the "belted Newton") and the .358 Norma Magnum. My only problem with the caliber has nothing to do with the cartridge itself, but with the weight of the Newton rifle chambered for it.

To me the rifle is unconscionably light for such a powerful cartridge. Moreover, Newton rifles chambered in .30 Newton and .35 Newton, which do not have split stocks, seem to be the exception, rather than the rule.

Newton seems to have designed his rifle stocks with the .256 Newton in mind, and made no concessions to the increased recoil of his larger bore creations.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: 35 Newton - 12/10/13 11:35 PM
xausa,
Thats the great thing about handloading, you could load it to 9x57/35 Win. levels. 8x68 or 375 Ruger cases should work better than belted cases.
Mike
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 12/11/13 01:01 AM
THE INSIDE DIAMETER OF THE APERTURE IS 4/16 . My sight is tight and not wobbly at all . I appreciate all the info and if some one has one I can try PLEASE LET ME KNOW !!! I will also contact the pother source listed in case . Yes I heard about all the cracked stocks . I took mine apart and used some spar varnish and tung oil to the inside areas that appeared dry and possible weaker areas subject to cracking . I have some 35 Newtons loaded up but they are on the heavy side ,so never shot it, yet . I will probably have some lighter ones loaded first to try it and yes I always wanted to shoot it .I agree its quite slim but that really is the charm of the rifle . I would say this one has been shot a little so its good it did not crack . I almost thought when I first got it , it had a rose wood stock as Newton had some like this as it has a nice rich red color with black grain but its probably just nice walnut ,still I had a rose wood stocked rifle once and it does look some what similar Not sure how to post pics here ? If anyone emails me at willsanders@earthlink.net I can send you a few pictures if you can post them for me . The 35 is by far the rarest of the normal Newton calibers . Production now looks like less than 300 . Who knows how many are left and how many of those are unaltered .
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 12/11/13 02:07 AM
I emailed rusty42, so far no reply . I emailed Apertures n More and he said he did not know and asked how many threads per inch in the Newton Bolt peep . I have no idea or how I could measure such a small thin ring for that measure . Does anyone here know the threads per inch for the Newton Bolt peep ?
Posted By: Krag 1902 Re: 35 Newton - 12/11/13 02:32 AM
Actually the 22 Newton is scarcer than the .35 by a factor of 1 to 8. I've had a couple of 35s but never a .22 Newton. If I were doing it (again), I would avoid full house .35 Newton loads in your rifle.
Posted By: Igorrock Re: 35 Newton - 12/11/13 08:07 AM
Quote:
I have no idea or how I could measure such a small thin ring for that measure

This kind of tool will help you:

And this way it works:
Posted By: xausa Re: 35 Newton - 12/11/13 11:48 AM
Good suggestion, Igorrock, but he needs to measure a female thread, not a male. I'll check one of mine and see what I can determine.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: 35 Newton - 12/11/13 05:07 PM
If all else fails, he can make a "Dummy" by stopping off one side of the hole, filling it with cerrosafe, and then unscrewing the dummy.The dia and pitch can then be directly determined.
Mike
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: 35 Newton - 12/11/13 06:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Der Ami
If all else fails, he can make a "Dummy" by stopping off one side of the hole, filling it with cerrosafe, and then unscrewing the dummy.The dia and pitch can then be directly determined.
Mike

I swear....there is always something to be learned from you!!!!!! Another note to add to my file. Thanks yet again.
Posted By: xausa Re: 35 Newton - 12/11/13 09:01 PM
I checked my rifles, and the only one which has a cocking piece sight has a Lyman, not a Newton. I guess Robert Zimmerman (rusty marlin)has the only two I own in his possession.

However, Larry Wales, who wrote the book (literally) about Newtons has a post today, and he will undoubtedly know the answer to your question. The book is a good buy, incidentally.
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 12/11/13 11:49 PM
Larry Wales listed the Newton in 22 Newton as having maybe less than 12 rifles ever made .Hell yes that is rare. I just do not consider that a normally produced caliber .I wonder why they never made more ? The 35 was a normally produced caliber and I consider it the rarest of that classification of the 256 , 30 and 35 . As less then 300 were made ,but yet its known world wide and was used extensively . The 40 as far as odd balls go is more rare than the 22 , maybe one known ? Bit its not , again a normal chambering . Would love to find one though !!!!
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 12/11/13 11:55 PM
Thank you but that would work IF I already had the part I needed ! The threads are INSIDE the metal ring the aperture I need would screw into and there is no way to get a took inside the tiny ring that I know of to measure them.If some one here has the screw in part I need they could certainly unscrew it , use that tool and measure the threads and THEN I could tell the maker the answer .
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 12/11/13 11:56 PM
THAT WOULD WORK, NEVER TRIED SUCH A THING , WEAR DO YOU GET THE CERROSAFE ?
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 12/11/13 11:58 PM
MICHAEL DID YOU FIND ANY THAT MIGHT WORK ?
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 12/12/13 12:01 AM
XAUSA , Can I PLEASE have his phone number ? This is my BEST chance , he can at least measure the threads for me as he has them in his hands . He has NOT answered my emails ?????
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: 35 Newton - 12/12/13 04:20 AM
Originally Posted By: WillS
MICHAEL DID YOU FIND ANY THAT MIGHT WORK ?

Sorry, don't know enough to even look, someone will come up with the right diameter and TPI and I'll see what I have.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: 35 Newton - 12/12/13 04:11 PM
Wills,
Reread my post above. If you can't do this your local gunsmith should be able to.
Mike
Posted By: xausa Re: 35 Newton - 12/12/13 04:55 PM
Lawrence Wales
11175 Macarthur Rd
Levering, Mi 49755
231-445-1022
lswales@live.com
www.newtonrifles.com
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: 35 Newton - 12/12/13 06:48 PM
It's official, I don't have the right one.

Posted By: 40NT Re: 35 Newton - 12/12/13 09:04 PM
I measured the sizes of the screw-in aperture for the Newton Bolt Peep sight and they are as follows;
Outside diameter of disc = .381"
Rear aperture = .090"
Thread diameter = .279"
Front aperture = .16"
Threads per inch = 32
Hope this helps.
If you would like a Word document with pictures and measurements, email me and I will forward it to you.
If you would like a hard copy, send me your address and I will send a copy.
lswales@live.com
Posted By: Der Ami Re: 35 Newton - 12/12/13 09:32 PM
40NT and Michael Petrov both submitted creditable but different thread info (.277" and .279" are really the same major diameter, but 32 tpi and 27 tpi are different). I strongly suggest the actual thread pitch be determined before deciding what to buy.
Mike
Posted By: 40NT Re: 35 Newton - 12/12/13 10:44 PM
My error, I checked 3 apertures and all measure 32 tpi.
I apologize for the incorrect info. I corrected previous post.
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 12/13/13 01:40 AM
This is GREAT info Larry , now I have sent this and the pictures to Apertures and More to see if they can help . Baring this , I need to find a good machinist who can take a stab at it , any ideas ? There must be a lot of newtons missing these , enough anyway so it could help a few people if a replacement
can be made .
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 12/13/13 01:41 AM
So Lawrence is making you the replacement ?
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 12/13/13 01:44 AM
Hi Xausa, The number I needed was of Robert Zimmerman , who you said was making the parts . Lawrence does not make them . Robert did not reply to my email , at all .
Posted By: xausa Re: 35 Newton - 12/13/13 11:44 AM
Sorry, if I ever had Robert's telephone number, I no longer do.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: 35 Newton - 12/13/13 03:04 PM
WillS,
The thread sounds like 9/32"-32, Victor Machinery Exchange (www.victornet.com) has taps and dies.I think it would be easier to make it in two pieces than try to thread up to such a small shoulder by "single point".
Mike
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 12/16/13 07:48 PM
APERTURES AND MORE SAID THEY THINK THEY CAN MAKE IT FOR $15 . i SAID GREAT CAN YOU GIVE ME AN IDEA OF HOW LONG IN DAYS WEEKS OR MONTHS AND SO FAR GOT NO REPLY .
Posted By: Der Ami Re: 35 Newton - 12/17/13 02:13 PM
WillS,
If you can have a decent one made for $15,feel lucky and be happy happy happy, to quote that great philosopher, Phil Robinson.
Mike
Posted By: WillS Re: 35 Newton - 01/07/14 02:34 AM
I got the aperature from Aperture in More. ITS PERFECT !! Looks exactly correct and screwed right in .if you need one , that is where to get it and $15 !!!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com