doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: GRH Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/18/11 10:47 PM
I have two Winchester Model 52's with unique stocks. The first is a pre-A "slowlock" 52 with a barrel date 0f 1920. The metal finish is gone and the stock has been repaired in several places. The old rifle is extremely accurate for it's age and I love shooting it. Any body recognize the stock maker?

The second Model 52 is a bull barrel Model B with a 1939 barrel date and a Thomas trigger. The stock is very different and the checkering is very attractive.

Unfortunately I have no history on either of these rifles. I am sure they both could tell some great stories if they could. Thanks for looking and Happy Holidays. I love looking at the beautiful rifles here. Bob
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/19/11 05:18 AM
Bob,

Welcome to the forum, two interesting rifles but I can't help you on who made them.

A few days ago I was asked to identify the maker of the 52 pictured below. Don't know who made this one either so I hope you don't mind if I tack it on with yours.

Posted By: GRH Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/19/11 05:12 PM
That is another nice 52 Michael. It does appear to use the Winchester factory butt plate and pistol grip cap that is on my 1920's Model 52.

I need to take some updated pictures of my DuBiel barreled Model 52 for you Michael. I posted some pictures of that rifle here here a few months ago. I have been doing a sympathetic restoration on it and it is almost finished.
Posted By: gasgunner Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/19/11 05:42 PM
Hi Bob,
I really like both those rifle, lots of character. Is the checkering on the target rifle flat top, or does the picture just make it look that way? Looking forward to seeing what you were able to do with the Dubiel.

John
Posted By: eightbore Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/19/11 07:54 PM
I would love to see some classic style 52 sporters carved from original target wooded guns. Anyone have one?
Posted By: gasgunner Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/19/11 09:18 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
I would love to see some classic style 52 sporters carved from original target wooded guns. Anyone have one?

While not a sporter, I believe this to be a worked over original Winchester stock.

John

Posted By: eightbore Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/19/11 11:18 PM
I have pictures of that gun and love it. I can't remember where the pictures came from. Can we see more pictures of original 52 target guns converted to sporters with original wood?
Posted By: GRH Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/20/11 01:03 AM
Gasgunner - That is one beautiful rifle. That stock work is just a wow factor for me. To answer your question on the checkering on the target stock, it is flat top. I will try to get some DuBiel pictures tomorrow. Bob
Posted By: GRH Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/20/11 10:35 PM
Here is a picture of the Dubiel when I first got it.

Here is the way it looks at this time.

Posted By: gasgunner Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/20/11 11:12 PM
Hard to tell due to the shadows, but did you add wood to the forend to make it flat bottomed? The first 2 after pictures almost look like you cut a groove in it.

Have you shot it yet?

John
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/21/11 04:45 AM
Is the Dubiel marked and if so how and where?
Posted By: GRH Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/21/11 05:33 PM
Michael - It is marked on the barrel. Note the very early round top receiver. This is serial number 18402 manufactured in 1931. I have been told that Winchester had not begun to use the round top receiver for the 52 until much later.

Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/22/11 12:49 AM
Thanks, Just what I needed to know.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/22/11 12:53 AM
For Don,

Posted By: Don Moody Re: Winchester Model 52 custom stocks - 12/22/11 12:58 AM
I first saw this 1928 Model 52 in an old gunsmith's shop back when I was 11 or 12 years old ('56 0r '57). It had been a Target Model that he restocked with a Fagen semi finished stock. He didn't dress the wood down very much and it felt thick and overweight. He also cut the barrel to 20" and tapered it from just in front of the barrels marking to the muzzle. He had fitted it with a self-made scope mount and the Weaver 2-7x scope.
The old man became a very good friend and mentor to me. Years later, when he passed on, I bought the 52 from his wife. She was a good friend of my Mother.
In the '90s, I decided to redo the stock by trimming it down to look more like a factory Sporter stock and then checkered it with the Sporter pattern.
I had a gunsmith re-blue the metal and fit it with Redfield mounts and rings and used the same Weaver scope.
I think it turned out pretty well and it is very accurate.

Thank you, Michael, for post the pictures.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com