doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Alvin Linden 1903 N.R.A. Sporter Checkering Pattern - 10/18/11 01:33 PM
I have an N.R.A. Sporter action that I obtained a few years ago sans stock and stock hardware. It was and still is 100% ARMORY MINT. I obtained a semi shaped stock blank and had it completed along with the stock hardware by Chuck in Denver modeled from an original of his. He shot it the other day in windy conditions and obtained a 3" OFFHAND GROUP at 75 yds. I had this built for my 14 year old daughter and Ryan Mc Nabb here kindly contributed the barrel band (THANKS AGAIN! RYAN) My daughter ask if I would request members here if they would be kind enough to submit photos of classic pre-war checkering patterns so she can choose from them to have one checkered on her Sporter. She is, I am proud to say already an avid reader of our site and is an avowed Classic PRE-WAR RIFLE devotee. Anyone responding to Hallye's request is THANKED PERSONALLY IN ADVANCE! Warmest to all Jerry and Hallye
Posted By: james-l Re: 1903 N.R.A. Sporter Checkering Pattern - 10/18/11 06:02 PM
Jerry, Brophys book on 1903s has 3 or 4 photos of presentation or award rifles built on DCM sporters. They are not very sharp but might give you some ideas.
If you are going to retain the original shape of the stock and the barrel band then I agree you need to look at the award rifles.

http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/catalog_detail_shots.asp?Details=37912&sale=264
If I am not mistaken, one of those Navy rifles does not have a starguage mark on the muzzle. I have a never fitted Sporter barrel, all the correct markings except no star. Were there many like this?
Posted By: Herschel Re: 1903 N.R.A. Sporter Checkering Pattern - 10/31/11 03:40 AM
I believe the late 1930's 1903 NRA Sporter barrels were star gauged but lacked the star on the muzzle. These would have a star gauge number on the bottom of the barrel in the area that would be concealed by the forend. I have a couple of NRA Sporters that have aftermarket checkering on the stocks and a couple of 1922M1's that also have aftermarket checkering. Will be happy to photograph and email you pics if you haven't already gotten what you need.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com