doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: prairie ghost Stocking question - 03/13/11 08:25 PM
I am in the process of stocking a Wesson single shot action and need info regarding the diameter of the through holes for the tang screws. Should they fit tightly the diameter of the screw or does there need to be clearence between the wood and the screw? There are two screws tying the upper and lower tangs together- fore and aft. There is an additional screw that secures the lockplate and am making the assumption that this hole needs a little clearence- is that correct? Thanks.
Kelly
Posted By: SKB Re: Stocking question - 03/13/11 08:33 PM
correct Kelley, all the holes need a bit of clearance.
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: Stocking question - 03/14/11 12:50 AM
So school me up. What holds the buttstock hard and fast to the action in the fore /aft plane? How do you maintain the recoil shoulder if there is nothing "wedging" the stock into the action?
Posted By: MAD-MIKE Re: Stocking question - 03/14/11 04:30 AM
School me too SKB. Clearance for the screw thru the tang holes,but screws into wood should be tight (just not tight enough to split), in fact after screwing the stock on, I take the screws out & put a drop of carpenters glue down the screw hole as I put the screw back in. We're talking Win. SSs,Stevens 44s &44 1/2s. Never had a stock work loose. Hope this helps, ...MIKE...
Posted By: SKB Re: Stocking question - 03/15/11 02:32 AM
If you go slow and get a good tight fit you will not have to worry about it moving about on you. Recoil surfaces on a Wesson are the rear of the action and the tabs at the head of the stock, the whole head in essence. Leave a slight relief at the rear of the tang too.
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: Stocking question - 03/15/11 03:54 AM
Sounds good. One more question. Regarding the bottom tang and the bloster that the trigger mounts on. Do you fit the forward radiused edge tight? Seems to me that this alone would prevent any rearward movement of the stock and assist in maintaining good contact of the head. BTW, thank you for your time answering my questions. When I get it headed up maybe I will post pics of yet another Wesson/Henry clone with a litte different action sculpting.
Kelly
Posted By: SKB Re: Stocking question - 03/15/11 11:21 AM
the boss on the trigger plate needs some relief too.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com