doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Michael Petrov Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/05/11 09:25 PM
I need a picture that I can use in an article of a post-War marked Paul Jaeger rifle.

I need to show the left side with a cheek-piece.

If need be I can just copy one from the catalog but would be nice to show an actual rifle.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/05/11 11:44 PM
Posted By: NTaxiarchis Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/06/11 12:52 AM
I have one. It's a Mauser in 7mm with a mannlicher stock. I'll snap a few pics tomorrow and send them along.

Nick
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/06/11 02:01 AM
This one belongs to a friend, I believe I still have the high res images if you need them.

Jaeger thread
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/06/11 05:10 AM
Nick & Rob, Yes to both of you and I'll try to use them both if possible.

Although my focus is on pre-war rifles does any know if Jaeger used a serial number or date stamp on the post-war rifles?
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/06/11 04:02 PM
Michael,

I'll try to get the full size file emailed to you directly, but I don't know about the date or serial number. I'll try to find out in the next few days. As far as serial number, I assume you mean something other than the original Mauser serial number?
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/06/11 06:48 PM
My notes on post-war Jaeger are not very complete I show that Jaeger serial numbered his guns. One source says month and date not serial number.

I'm just going to make mention of post-war Jaeger because that was 99.9% of his production.
Posted By: NTaxiarchis Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/07/11 12:22 AM
My rifle has a 4 digit serial number on the front ring that can't be date related. near as I can figure this is a FN mauser action. There is also a mark on the underside of the bolt shroud that looks like an 8 with an inverted capital L over it. No other marks except for caliber.

I'm having camera issues. I'll get the pics to you as soon as I can.

Nick
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/23/11 10:23 PM
I have reason to believe that many jaeger rifles have the initials of the stockmaker and the date under the buttplate.

Can anyone confirm this?
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/23/11 11:39 PM
My friend James Tucker worked there as a stockmaker in there 1980's, I believe he said he marked his guns with his intitials in the barrel channel(?)
Much later than your focus I'm sure.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/24/11 01:40 AM
It is a bit later but I've had to bend my rule somewhat on makers like Jaeger who did 99% of his work after the war.

I will touch on some of the early employees if I can get the proper information.

Frank Pachmayer is a lot like Jaeger who started before the war but is better know for what he did after. Luckily there will be August for the early years.
Posted By: NTaxiarchis Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/24/11 03:57 AM
Ok, so I haven't had the action out of the wood in a couple years and didn't remember all the markings. If you hold the action upside down with the barrel pointing left the markings are as follows:

8/68
X X
*** (dots)
J in a circle
D O

Under the butt plate is:

6v8

Under the buttplate: 039 (last three of ser. number)

Pictures here: http://s424.photobucket.com/albums/pp321/NNT0321/Jaeger/

Sorry to take so long

Nick T.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/24/11 05:16 AM
Thanks Nick, Looks like we might need NSA to break all the codes.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/24/11 04:20 PM
Mike,
Remember that Dietrich Apel worked at Jaegers, is quite a historian and might be a living source of info??? German Gun Collectors..
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/24/11 06:17 PM
I've talked with Dietrich at length and as recently as yesterday.

He arrived in the USA after the war but has been very helpful on filling in the blanks on Franz, Kurt and himself.

One thing I was grateful for is to be able to confirm that Kurt was not an engraver. This has always been a point of contention with folks who have Kurt Jaeger signed engraved guns.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Anyone have a Jaeger rifle? - 02/24/11 07:03 PM
Great, Dietrich does like to talk, and has a great sense of history.

And I agree, you woulda thought Kurt engraved most American guns in the 50-70's. Good to know teh truth, but I can imagine getting lots of diagreement by saying, "Kurt Jaeger was not an engraver", eh?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com