doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Michael Petrov Another unknown maker - 06/04/10 08:41 PM
I have files on thirty to forty unknown makers. I’ve learned not to do a lot of work trying to trace any maker until I see more than a couple of his rifles. Number five from this maker just showed up a few days ago. I have no information on him but four of the five rifles are engraved by Kornbrath, early Kornbrath.

I think one of our members here has one of these, the pictures are a mix from several rifles.

Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/04/10 08:42 PM

Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/04/10 08:43 PM
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Another unknown maker - 06/04/10 08:57 PM
I think I've become a fan of that border carving..
Posted By: james-l Re: Another unknown maker - 06/04/10 09:59 PM
Here is what I think is an early sporter by?? It has the same s curved pistol grip as the ones above, it also has a collar on the barrel like one in Michaels book. The buttplate is identical to the ones used on A H Fox shotguns,There are 2 sets of initals and a number under the B/P. It appears to be ODL RJB 2285611. Unfortunately someone has drilled and tapped it for a scope and altered the bolt handle, ideas anyone?

Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/04/10 11:10 PM
james-l

Great rifle, I have one by the same maker, still unknown. Yours is about number four or five. I saw one last moth by this same maker. I like your wood, is it American Walnut?

Nothing under the buttplate on mine. Yours is the first with any initials.

Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/04/10 11:50 PM
Another maker who used the "S" grip bottom. If I ever learn who made this stock I'll pull the Johnson Auto .257-Roberts barrel off and rust blue it.

Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/05/10 01:47 AM
James,
A question, Is the rifle a Springfield or Rock-Island and did they remove any wood when they bent the bolt?
Posted By: james-l Re: Another unknown maker - 06/05/10 05:21 AM
Michael it is a Springfield and they removed wood for the bolt. I have a very good unaltered bolt with a straight handle that was with an action in the same serial #, the slot for bolt clearance is a problem. I believe the stock is American Walnut.

Jim A.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/05/10 06:30 PM
Jim, Thanks,

Many of these older sporters had a scope mounted on them but well worth reversing.

After you install the new bolt and if you don't mind could you take a few pictures for me? I'd like to put them in my file and maybe use them in the future. Because I don't know who the maker is I have nicknames for them, this is "American Guy" because of the domestic walnut.
Posted By: james-l Re: Another unknown maker - 06/06/10 06:05 PM
Michael, not a problem except for hiding the slot cut for the lowered bolt handle. How would you do that, the wood in that area is real plain, I think if I filled the slot and then made a flat area from the cut for the sight to behind the bolt slot it could be hidden if I had a good match on the wood.

Posted By: mkbenenson Re: Another unknown maker - 06/07/10 04:13 AM
Cut a big chunk out from under the buttplate?
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/07/10 04:35 AM
If this is what you mean I would sure consider going that way. As you said nice plain wood so matching should not be a big problem.

Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/07/10 04:39 AM
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Another unknown maker - 06/07/10 04:44 PM
I always prefer to use PhotoShop when replacing stock wood ;>)
Do you use PS when removing it from under the buttplate??:>)
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/07/10 05:05 PM
What can I say, I was bored. grin

This took a little longer, my dream K-1922,

Bigger Picture
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Another unknown maker - 06/07/10 06:23 PM
Labeling the pic "mock-up" make this a PhotoShop creation I guess?
Here's hoping your dreams come true! An awful lot of yours have...

Here's my, circa 1930's, dream K-22...
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/07/10 08:26 PM
Yep, a PS creation, cost a lot less than the real thing to see what something might look like.

"Here's hoping your dreams come true! An awful lot of yours have."

Yes they have, a lot of work made many of them come true. Even as a kid I wanted to see Alaska. As far back as I can remember I liked fine firearms. Just took some looking around and trusting my instincts.
Posted By: GrandView Re: Another unknown maker - 06/07/10 10:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
As far back as I can remember I liked fine firearms. Just took some looking around and trusting my instincts.

You've become very adept at it, Michael.

And you've assisted more than a few of the rest of us.......which we appreciate.
Posted By: J Scott McCash Re: Another unknown maker - 06/07/10 10:59 PM
Stephen,
When I was 14 in 1974 my dad traded for a K-22 just like the one in your photo with no finish left. I saved the money and sent it back to S&W and they completely refinished and retimed it. I believe it cost me $57.50 to have the work done and took about 6 months. It shot great but like a foolish kid, I saw something else I thought I had to have and traded it off. Have been sorry ever since.
Scott
I think I'll start looking for a replacement after seeing your photo.
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Another unknown maker - 06/08/10 03:33 AM
Michael, tell us more about that rifle. My son is wanting a .22 Hornet on a M2 .22 or shortened '03. Is such a rifle possible today?
Posted By: mkbenenson Re: Another unknown maker - 06/08/10 04:11 AM
I dunno who could do Springfield Hornet conversions today. In the old days the 1922M1 was easier to convert than the M2. Sedgely shortened some 03s and made them in both Hornet and Bee. They are true rarities. The Hornet M1s are "scarce", not "rare", but still bring big money. A number were made by G&H and these are truly elegant rifles.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/08/10 05:38 AM
Originally Posted By: RHD45
Michael, tell us more about that rifle. My son is wanting a .22 Hornet on a M2 .22 or shortened '03. Is such a rifle possible today?

I did that mock-up about twelve or more years ago when I got my first copy of PhotoShop. I understand that one of these was being made but have not talked to the gunsmith or the owner for a couple years about it. I'll ask and report back.

This would be a very labor intensive and expensive job.

In all my years of looking I have only seen two (2) shortened Sedgley .22-Hornets. As a matter of fact the man who is having the cut down 1922 made has one.
Posted By: KVN Re: Another unknown maker - 06/08/10 06:39 PM
Hi Michael,

Can you tell me if either the Sedgley or G&H .22 Hornet conversion were single-shot only, or if a magazine was fitted?

thanks
Posted By: joelblack88 Re: Another unknown maker - 06/08/10 07:13 PM
I had 2 hornet conversions by G&H and both were magazine fed.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/08/10 08:17 PM
All that I have seen by Sedgley or G&H have been repeaters.

This is my 1922 converted by G&H to .22-3000 Lovell and it has a nicely made magazine.

Big Picture
Posted By: 1878 Re: Another unknown maker - 06/08/10 10:37 PM
Is there any receiver difference between the M1922M1 and M2? I thought the only differences were in the bottom metal/magazine and bolt.
Posted By: butch lambert1 Re: Another unknown maker - 06/08/10 11:36 PM
Michael,
Did I ask you if you needed any brass? I have some G&H 22-3000 that I believe is R2 Lovell now.
Butch
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/09/10 01:25 AM
Butch,
Thanks, I have some G&H but getting old for high-speed loads. I have some of the new Jamison now loaded but have not had time to play with it yet.

Still headed North in July?
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/09/10 05:48 PM
Jim,

Looks like it might be the same maker as our rifles. Different grip bottom but the rest looks like his work.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Springfield-1903-A1-Custom-30-06-caliber-.cfm?gun_id=100126265
Posted By: james-l Re: Another unknown maker - 06/09/10 09:49 PM
Michael

Somewhere in one of the older gunsmithing books I have seen the bushing on the barrel to hide the sight spline. It is not in Howe's book ,maybe in Baker's or Dunlap's. Except for the grip the one on G/I looks the same, I will have to bookmark it to see if they get that much for it;<)
Posted By: WJW Re: Another unknown maker - 06/09/10 10:51 PM
Jim,

If memory serves, the book you are thinking off is Linden's on stocking the Springfield - cant remember which number of the three it was.

Bill
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Another unknown maker - 06/10/10 01:18 AM
Originally Posted By: james-l
Michael

Somewhere in one of the older gunsmithing books I have seen the bushing on the barrel to hide the sight spline. It is not in Howe's book ,maybe in Baker's or Dunlap's. Except for the grip the one on G/I looks the same, I will have to bookmark it to see if they get that much for it;<)

I've seen that bushing on several different makers of both Krag and 1903 sporters.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com