doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ken Hurst BEN SHELOR - 09/20/09 07:51 PM
The following is a message I received from Ben's wife re. his stroke ;

"This is extremely differcult to write. After his return from UVA, Ben was evaluated by the physicians who had attended him initially. They determined that he would never get any better. Meaning that he would be awake very little of the day and virtually not responsive to much. He would not be a candidate for rehabilitation. He would have good and bad days. One of the "very bad" days occured not too long ago. His temperture spiked at 103.3 and it took 10 hours with Tylenol and a cooling blanket to get it down to 100.

One of our options was hospice and we decided to go that route as Ben would not want to continue in his courrent state. I will let you know when he is gone. Thanks again for all your support."

Biddie

As a life long friend of Ben's, I'm heartbroken at the change of events. I would like all to have known him as I did but can onlytell you he was a big hearted guy who when asked, would do anything for you. Prayers for Ben and Miss Biddie would be appreciated.
Posted By: PA24 Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/20/09 08:03 PM
Sad news, thank you Ken....he will be in our prayers.....
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/20/09 09:19 PM
My friend Ben is a fellow I've never met face-to-face, but I will always count him among my closest and best friends ever. Ken, I'll be forever grateful to you for introducing me to Ben, you both have had a profound influence upon my aesthetic appreciation as well as my own puny scrimshanding efforts.

As a direct result of his unselfish generosity Ben and I exchanged books, parts & tools many times and I'd like to think that he enjoyed the work I was able to do for him. I know for a fact that Ben has helped many, many shooters with his informed advice as well as any needed parts & contacts. The Golden Rule has been Ben's watchword and we've talked many times about life's big circle and paying favors forward. Ben doesn't suffer fools gladly and has sometimes irritated folks with his shorthand version of typing his messages but in my book he's tops, and always will be. I once said that Ben was a man to ride the river with, and I'll always regret that we never got that chance.

Like Will Rogers once said, 'when I die I want to go wherever dogs go', and I'd like to think that I'll meet Ben there.
Regards, Joe
Posted By: whitey Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/20/09 10:36 PM
I will second Joe and Ken's statement And only add that once you was a friend of Ben's It was for life. And I will always cherish my friendship with Ben. Because it was a true friendship. That no matter what.You could count on it. He Is a Hell of a MAN. Whitey
Posted By: Green Frog Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/21/09 01:06 AM
I only had one opportunity to meet Ben face to face, but like many of you have had a long relationship with him via internet and telephone. His presence is missed already, but let's not write him off just yet... this is the guy who turned a tractor over on himself and walked away, after all. He'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Froggie
Posted By: ssdave Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/21/09 02:29 AM
Ken,

I'm saddened to read this latest post on Bens condition. Everything Joe said I couldn't have said better, that describes my friend Ben. Ben is always interesting to talk with, he told me once he likes to talk to people in different areas and with different backgrounds so that he can vicariously experience what they do, and know some of what they know. He told me now way, nohow, no time will he ever sit through a 3 day blizzard at 20 below zero and 60 mph winds, where ice forms on the inside of the walls on the windward side of the house, but he really enjoys it when I do and he can call me and hear about it. He would call from his computer, pull up google earth and the weather sattelite and watch it while he asked me about what things were like here.

He always likes to send pictures of his shop, his latest rifle, the pond, the tractor, the christmas decorations, and what else is going on in his world to share. Or tell how he treated himself to a turtle on the pond with the .219 zipper today. Or how the snooty lady came around collecting for some worthless cause, he was outside working on the yard, and he told her the folks are gone for the winter, better catch them when they come back in the spring. Or tell how everyone wants to buy the turtle shell or bullshit grinder on his desk instead of the rifle that is laid on the desk to take the picture.

My prayers are with him and Biddie.

dave
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/21/09 12:42 PM
I only knew the man from this group but I know he was important to many of you. Having had my dad and a good friend both in hospice earlier this year my thoughts go out to his family that he's at peace soon.
Posted By: The Double D Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/22/09 03:57 PM
I also have shared in Ben's Generosity and phone calls...not enough of either.

I am coming in the back door on this, what happened to Ben?
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/22/09 08:56 PM
About five weeks past Ben had a stroke & was hospitalized. While in ICU, he had a few more strokes which sent him to UVA for advanced treatment. The Doc's decided there was nothing else to do that could help him recover sooooo, the family decided the doc's advice of a hospice until ................
Posted By: The Double D Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/23/09 01:35 PM
Thanks Ken
Posted By: whitey Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/23/09 11:41 PM
Friends this is a sad day for me. Our mine and our friend Ben has passed away. Whitey
Posted By: Green Frog Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/24/09 01:04 AM
We are diminished. Rest in peace, old friend.

Charlie Shaeff
the Green Frog
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/24/09 02:04 AM
I am at a loss for words. Knowing how much Ben would have hated his situation, this is a blessing for him and a mercy for his family. He wouldn't of had it any other way. We had discussed this situation years ago (who would go first & could he have all my stuff) and easily decided that we didn't want to linger. I wasn't married then so his plan was to kick me into a ditch, pray for an early rain & run off with my stuff before the buzzards knew I was dead. Anyone who really knew Ben will recognize his humor. May God bless and welcome him .............
Posted By: The Double D Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/24/09 01:18 PM
Ken,

Where or to who do we send cards of condolence?

Douglas
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/24/09 01:52 PM
I have lost his address, perhaps JD Steele has it or Whitey.
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/24/09 10:31 PM
Biddie (Mrs Ben) Shelor
4962 Spring Cottage Rd
Newtown, VA 23126

I know she'll appreciate hearing from those of you whom Ben befriended. There's a big hole in all our lives today, one of us who truly lived his life by The Golden Rule has now traveled on and we are indeed diminished.
Regards, Joe
Posted By: whitey Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/25/09 12:26 AM
As Joe,Ken has said Ben was a special person. Who if he was your friend he was always your friend no matter what. And if you was not a friend. He wasnted you to be a friend.
As the old cowboys used to say. He was one to ride the river with. Ben's friend Whitey
Posted By: Vall Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/26/09 02:41 PM
Ben was whatever he wanted to be, depending on how you conducted yourself. He was definitely "old school", and didn't have many gray areas. The first time I dealt with Ben was unique to say the least. I called him to buy some barrels, and he told me to send the money, and he'd send the barrels; the two would pass somewhere along the route.
After getting to know Ben I realised he started everything with good intentions, and trust, and it was up to you to respond in like manner. He was a true gentleman, and a friend.
Ben's infectious humor and laughter will always be in my heart. I liked Ben right from the first conversation, and continued to be amazed by his talent, generosity, and friendship. I will miss him more than words can convey.
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: BEN SHELOR - 09/26/09 06:19 PM
Vall and all, the many kind truths spoken about Ben are only the tip of the iceburg. Having spent a great deal of my life in his company, I can assure you he was far more than most think ! His perceived value as a man would be greatly magnified if you could have known him on a personal face to face daily existance. All the things you say re. Ben are true .... just greater than you might realize.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com