doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ken Hurst New action soon - 02/03/09 03:44 AM
Okay guys, here she comes. Steve Earle, maker of the #1 long range Frank Wesson action will soon be offering his new center hung hammer Wesson mid range rifle action. Of course, it will be same superbly machined action as the long range #1. Tonight he sent me pictures of a partially machined lever for the action. The machine work is so well done that you would think it was hand polished ! Doug Mann, Glenn Fewless and I are pushing Steve to follow this action up with a Frazer action for those who want a classic stalking rifle with a bit of Brit. flavor. FWIW
Posted By: whitey Re: New action soon - 02/03/09 05:19 AM
Ken pictures Pleaseeeeeeee. Smile Whitey
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: New action soon - 02/03/09 10:54 AM
Originally Posted By: whitey
Ken pictures Pleaseeeeeeee. Smile Whitey

Can I, echo, echo, echo, echo, echo, that request please.

Harry
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: New action soon - 02/03/09 03:31 PM
Okay , will see to getting them ASAP. Steve is leaving profiling the exteria of the action until last. When finished, I'll get pictures for you.
Posted By: martinibelgian Re: New action soon - 02/03/09 06:01 PM
Tell him to got straight away for the Fraser! Or - if he wants something simpler and cheaper, aField falling block!
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: New action soon - 02/03/09 08:38 PM
It's pretty evident to me that, if he wants to sell a bunch of them, a Borchardt is probably going to be more popular - not that I advocate it but I have heard more clamour for that action than any other not currently available.

Brent
Posted By: G.Pennell Re: New action soon - 02/04/09 02:29 AM
Personally, I'd rather have a source for a DST Ballard action, without having to buy a whole rifle to get one.

Greg
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: New action soon - 02/04/09 03:02 AM
Good point Greg, and I would agree with you. Ballard has sort of priced themselves out of the market - or at least my market.

I don't understand some of the other choices I have seen that folks are trying to recreat. The Peabody Martini being one and another falling block whose name I forget being another -looked like a cross between a highwall and a stevens but only the bad genes got expressed.

Anyway, I have seen one of Steve Earl's new models at Raton this past summer and it, like the side hammer Wesson is drop dead gorgeous. I'm sure that whatever he chooses to make will be superb, but I'd just choose different models myself.

Brent
Posted By: Vall Re: New action soon - 02/04/09 03:22 AM
I'll ditto the need for a Ballard action only, since it seems nobody else wants to sell just the action!
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: New action soon - 02/04/09 03:56 AM
Steve and I spoke tonight and it is a pretty sure bet that the Frazier or maybe even a Wesly-Richards will be the next action.

Steve won't make a Ballard as he wants to honor Steve Durrens business & won't try and duplicate the same action.

Steve is making some of the parts for Al Story (Borchardt owner) and won't compete with Al.

You'll find Steve Earle is a most honerable gentleman that would never try and hurt another business by taking away their trade.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: New action soon - 02/04/09 05:24 AM
Agree with the Ballard vote, no one is selling the action. I suspect that in the future someone will be making Ballards, there is a market for them.
Posted By: mkbenenson Re: New action soon - 02/04/09 06:18 AM
A few years ago Mark Silver mentioned that he and another gunsmith were collaborating on making half a dozen Holland & Holland dropping block actions. This was a sort of streamlined Farquharson and I think the last designed of the Brit SS rifles. Have no idea how far the project proceeded.
Posted By: mc Re: New action soon - 02/05/09 01:22 AM
there is a company in Colorado that sells 97 Westley Richards part sets.really a lot of work to build but nice when you finish.you have to make your own springs and pins.i get a headache thinking about it mc
Posted By: A10ACN Re: New action soon - 02/05/09 01:33 AM
Got the name of the company in Colorado?? Are the actions cast or machined?
Posted By: mc Re: New action soon - 02/05/09 01:39 AM
action casting co.. yes they are cast 8620 4140 and stainless. it is not an action but parts to build an action.i have built two, a giant pain.but you can check it out mc
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: New action soon - 02/05/09 09:58 AM
The site address is:- http://www.actioncastings.us/default.htm

It makes interesting reading as you work your way around the various pages. These actions are not like glue together model aircraft kits, you will have to work hard at it. A lathe, a mill, and the knowledge and skill to use them is greatly advised.

You could of course attend the Trinidad College and do their gunsmithing course on making this rifle action. Most of the students appear to be retired gentlemen.

The website doesn't appear to have been modified since about 2005, so I would suspect that prices may have changed somewhat.

Harry
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com