doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Robt. Harris Ruger No. 1 Rate of Twist - 12/20/08 11:28 AM
Not exactly a 'classic' perhaps, but could one of you fellas supply me with the rate of twist in Ruger's No. 1 in a 6mm Remington caliber (late 70's vintage). I'm thinking it is 1:10, unlike Remington's standard 1:9, but would like to know for certain. The gun is not in hand as yet to measure.

Thanks for whatever you might have,

Robert
Posted By: Robt. Harris Re: Ruger No. 1 Rate of Twist - 12/20/08 12:08 PM
It's hell when you have to answer yourself, but I should have 'googled' this info up in the first place. Consensus is that it is a 1-9" from factory, with a few claiming that Ruger will confirm this, if called.

Robt.
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Ruger No. 1 Rate of Twist - 12/20/08 04:05 PM
It's fairly simple to check any barrel for rate of twist if you have a tightly fitting brush or patch on a rod with a good swivel end. Just get it started, mark a beginning point Top Dead Center, then move the rod slowly until it makes one exact revolution, mark that point also, then measure the distance between the two marked points. This method is suggested in several old books, and still works well if you have a tightly fitted patch or brush that will let the rod swivel as it is supposed to. I see that you don't have it in hand, but perhaps whoever does could perform the simple test.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com