doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SDH-MT Mystery Krag - 10/14/08 12:40 AM
I imagine someone will recognize this rifle straight off. The owner is a lurker here and if nobody else tells us, I'll bet he'll have to respond. I have it in the shop for some minor adjustments. It is a blend of orginal parts and some contemporary custom work. The modern stuff includes new barrel, banded-ramp front sight, rear Rigby bolt peep, recoil pad, re-cut checkering, refinished stock, wonderfully hand-polished metalwork with professional rust, charcoal and nitre bluing with case color accents. The caliber is 6.5x55. I know my friend Steve Heilmann was responcible for the barrel and sight work, the rest?
What is it? I really couldn't tell you!

Posted By: Remington40x Re: Mystery Krag - 10/14/08 01:41 AM
Beautiful workmanship. Is that stock as blond as it appears in the photos?
Posted By: Don Moody Re: Mystery Krag - 10/14/08 02:34 AM
It is a beautiful rifle and beautiful workmanship, but an ugly stock and checkering pattern. If one is going to spend that much time and money on an old Krag, why not dress it nicer?
Is the stock a reworked military stock?
Posted By: whitey Re: Mystery Krag - 10/14/08 04:16 AM
Overall very nice. Ole cowboy is a little strong. But what can you expect from someone who is into JD green tractors that is what you call ugly. Smile Smile Whitey
Posted By: KVN Re: Mystery Krag - 10/15/08 02:12 AM
Well, let's see -- it's definitely a Norwegian Krag. The 6.5 X 55 caliber, receiver details near the loading door, and lack of a screw holding on the sideplate are indicators.

The stock looks like a Norwegian Model 51 Sporting Rifle (M51 Elgrifle) (see Brophy, The Krag Rifle, p 146) with the original "fishtail" checkering pattern. The wood is beech, but does not have the dark stain of the original M51 stock.

And unless I'm mistaken, that is a Norwegian match trigger we're looking at in the picture. Did Heilmann make matching/mated "V" cuts in the sear and trigger to precisely locate the Rigby bolt peep? (another picture of this detail SDH?)

Looks like a nice rifle to shoot and carry.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Mystery Krag - 10/15/08 11:16 PM
Yes, the stock is that blonde and I must confess I thought Kurt (KVN above, the owner, aka Montana Krag Loonie) was nuts to put that kind of work into that stock Krag. I have a very different opinion after the fact. I believe he imported the stock from Norway (no, I'm not kidding!) and maybe the trigger and other parts as well.

Some close-ups, first showing the bolt and cocking piece.

Then cropped parts of the same photo showing the V-shaped cocking piece sear, just to the right of the serial number (the angled cocking cam is to the right of that.).

And the matching V-notch in the trigger sear.

Which ensures that the sear and cocking piece, and therefore the cocking piece (Rigby style) sight aligns the same each time the rifle is cocked. This is probably the way all bolt-peep cocking pieces should be fit and I wonder if any of the originals we are seeing here are fit that way?
And here is the bolt out of the rifle to show how nicely it has been hand polished and colored.

The trigger pull is about 2 lbs. on my scale, but crisp and positive. the total weight of the rifle is 7 lbs. 10 oz.
A very cool rifle all around.
Posted By: mkbenenson Re: Mystery Krag - 04/13/09 06:50 PM
There is an original M51 elgrifle for sale on auctionarms.com, no. 9080214. Go to the main site and there is a space to insert the sale number. Good photos. Interesting to compare to this handsomely modified rifle. The original calibre on these was 8x57, so Steve's rifle must have been rebarreled. In Scandinavia, an "elg" is what we call a moose, so apparently the 6.5x55 on the military Krags was not thought sufficient. The guns were made at the government arsenal and were sold to Norwegian NRA members. There is an earlier M48 elgrifle, also 8x57, that is a little different, am too lazy to give all the details unless someone asks me. The 8x57 was a low powered special load, again from the arsenal, that I think used the original .318" bullet rather than the later .323". American factory 8mm Mauser loads which are loaded way down to be safe in 1888 Mausers ought to be OK, but don't take my word for it !! I have original M48 and M51s in my Krag sporter collection but have never fired them.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Mystery Krag - 04/13/09 07:57 PM
I believe I have seen that checkering pattern before on a rifle that some - almost certainly, Michael, has posted here. It was walnut though. Can't remember much else though.

BTW, does that bolt peep slam forward when the rifle is fired? And how stable is it? A peep like that looks as though it would tend to wiggle with the bolt or at least be unlikely to return perfectly to the same spot after every shot. Is it adjustable?

Brent
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: Mystery Krag - 04/14/09 12:08 AM
I've owned several and seen several more bolt rifles with cocking-piece peeps, and all used some sort of centering method to ensure return to zero. The British and European rifles used the vee-notch method already shown while the US-made 1903s used the 2-pin method. I'm sure that other rifles used other methods but those are the two that I've seen.
Regards, Joe
Posted By: gunner69skmc Re: Mystery Krag - 05/28/09 04:18 PM
KVN, If I may ask, WHERE did you obtain the Norwegian Stock? I have a friend with a barreled action and NO stock, he has been unable to find one and could use the help. Thanks, Jack

Well now I have the Norwegian barreled action and need a stock. It's a 1912 Carbine, and I doubt very much if I will be able to find a military stock with hardware. Where can I get a sporter stock? That one in the picture is fantastic!!!
Posted By: gunner69skmc Re: Mystery Krag - 05/30/09 02:24 AM
Well I have gone and did it...... I bought a Norwegian Krag 6.5x55 barreled receiver. Now I need a stock for it. Hope I can get info here on where to get one. HELP!!! Any ideas???
Posted By: WJW Re: Mystery Krag - 06/01/09 05:56 AM
Gunner69skmc

What type of stock are you looking for - military, hacked military or sporter. May be able to find something in the shop that would serve as a pattern. Send me a note at warkshopattelusdotnet if you are interested.

Bill
Posted By: KVN Re: Mystery Krag - 06/01/09 12:50 PM
Hi Gunner69skmc

I got the Elg Rifle stock via the internet from a Norwegian guy. I am not sure how common those stocks are, but there are quite a few Krag enthusiasts in Norway who can be very helpful about parts.

If all else fails, I have the "sporterized" military stock from the rifle in the picture, but WJW above may have a better stock for you.

BTW, the bolt peep sight does hold zero extremely well. The V-notch positions it in exactly the same position shot to shot, and a set screw locks the sight in the dovetail cut on the bolt body.

all the best,
KVN
Posted By: gunner69skmc Re: Mystery Krag - 06/07/09 05:41 PM
Hi, Thanks to both of you for the response. I doubt I can find both a military stock and the metal for it. I would be happy to have a sporter stock to get this old warhorse shooting. It just doesn't deserve to sit in my gunsafe and not be shot. Regards, Jack
Posted By: gunner69skmc Re: Mystery Krag - 06/09/09 01:48 AM
Bill, I tried to send you an email but I guess you didn't get it. I am interested in a "sporter" stock, as that looks like the best option. I will still need a "band" to hold the stock to the barrel right? Thanks, Jack

You know, I'll bet she would look good as a Manlicker.... He He
Posted By: WJW Re: Mystery Krag - 06/19/09 02:03 AM
gunner69skmc

Been away since the beginning of the month. Try sending me an e-mail at the address in my profile.

Have two of htese rifles - one with a new 6.5 x 55 sporter barrel and one with the military barrel.

Bill
Posted By: mkbenenson Re: Mystery Krag - 06/19/09 05:22 AM
gunner69skmc: you don't need a barrel band for a Norwegian Krag. Unlike an American Krag, they have both front and rear receiver bolts, just like a Mauser. You can free float that barrel if you like.
Posted By: gunner69skmc Re: Mystery Krag - 06/20/09 02:55 AM
Update, ordered a used sporter stock out of Denmark. Cost $127.00 delivered Fedex, probably get it in next week.

Another problem, cleaned up the bore which is dark but with good rifling. When I get the stock I will see how good she shoots. Any ideas on possibly cleaning up the bore?

I may have to rebarrel. From what I have read the Norwegian Krags need a gunsmith with smarts. Any suggestions on who to do this, if needed.

Thanks Guys, Gunner
Posted By: WJW Re: Mystery Krag - 06/21/09 06:38 AM
gunner69skmc

As long as you can cut left hand threads, and remember to turn the barrel opposite to standard proceedure to remove and install the barrel, you should have no problem. Best to copy the threads on the old barrel (12 square left hand tpi). If you are rebarreling, leave a shoulder on the barrel as it makes the barrelled action look better. A way around the threading/chambering problem might be to order a contoured, threaded and deep chambered barrel from Douglas. That way, if you were careful, you could fit the barrel withiout the need to buy, borrow or rent a chambering reamer.

Bill
Posted By: gunner69skmc Re: Mystery Krag - 06/24/09 01:59 AM
Thanks Bill, I am crossing my fingers, and awaiting the stock from Norway, I cleaned the B'Jesus out of the barrel Sunday nite. Actually looks pretty good, may be o.k.......
Posted By: gunner69skmc Re: Mystery Krag - 07/04/09 03:30 AM
WJW, Your profile doesn't give an email address. I received my Norwegian stock today. Had to inlet it a little just forward of the action. Came with barrel band too. Shot some reloads in the backyard today and seems O.K. I will follow up tomorrow and hope it is not as windy.

I think the stock I received was for a 1894 and not the M1912 as the trigger guard area is cut out longer? I am guessing on this. Nice to be able to shoot this old warhorse. I loaded a Hornady 140gr Match Bullet over 42.1gr of H4350, Federal Match Large Rifle Primers. Cases look good, primers not a problem, and the load is tame enough for the Krag action.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Mystery Krag - 07/04/09 08:00 PM
They should have used Mosin-Nagant action that way it would be the ugliest sporter ever made not just next to the ugliest.
Posted By: whitey Re: Mystery Krag - 07/04/09 08:13 PM
Jager somebody might send you the book how to win friends and influnce people. For XNAS Smile Whitey
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Mystery Krag - 07/04/09 09:03 PM
It hardly matters because it's not my rifle but I would prefer Sako L-61, pre-64 winchestr action, FN Mauser, VZ 24,.....I do like the workmanship.
Posted By: whitey Re: Mystery Krag - 07/04/09 09:21 PM
Wow !!! are you just fustrated from voteing for Obama or.??? Smile.AAnd all those nice words. Smile whitey
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Mystery Krag - 07/04/09 09:35 PM
I'm not frustrated with Obama or the fact the the country is long lost, but I wish people typed and said what they really think. For example don't you get tired of people asking how you are when they don't really give a shit?
PS. Oh look that peasants Mauser actioned sporter in 9,3x62 sold for $3775. Are we living in the lost city of Atlantis (actually it's underH20 just south of Cuba) or shangri la? It is much better looking rifle then this one of the kind Krag.
Posted By: gunner69skmc Re: Mystery Krag - 07/05/09 01:27 AM
Hate to disagree...... but the Norwegian Krag in 6.5x55 has one hell of a lot smoother action and is a nicer rifle.
Posted By: WJW Re: Mystery Krag - 07/05/09 06:31 AM
Gunner69skmc

Glad the stock worked out for you. Have two short barreled versions of the Norwegian Krag - neither of which fits the description for the 1894 or 1912 carbine - swivel placement is incorrect. On my stocks the width of the trigger guard is approximately 0.585 and the length is 3.80 inches long.

Ludwig Olson has an article on the Danish, American and Norwegian Krags in the September 1958 "American Rifleman" and in the 1982 January/February and March/April "Rifle" magazine and a shorter one in the November/December "Rifle" magazine.

As to strength, Olson quotes a Hardy Ahlgreen of the Kongsberg Arms Factory as stating the 7x57 is a suitable conversion for the Norewegian Krag but does not believe that the action is suitable for the .308 Winchester. However, in the 1950's Globe Firearms in Canada converted the Norwegian Krag to both the .243 and .308 Winchester. Two of these have been in contiuous use with factory .308 loaded cartridges and show no signs of falure.

Contrary to some of the opinions expressed, the Krag is a very slick action and performs very well - is most convenient to load in cold weather when hunting and is much more attractive than some other more "modern" rifles.

Try checking my profile again - address should be there.

Bill
Posted By: Don Moody Re: Mystery Krag - 07/05/09 11:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
-- don't you get tired of people asking how you are when they don't really give a shit?

You don't have to worry about anyone here asking how you are, cause they truly DON'T give a shit!
Posted By: whitey Re: Mystery Krag - 07/05/09 03:18 PM
Don I will second that opinion.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Mystery Krag - 07/05/09 04:35 PM
The folks in Norway sure make smooth working rifles. The slickest bolt I ever worked was modern Kongsberg rifle. Too bad it was in no fun caliber .338Mag or I would have bought it.
There is much to admire about their country: sound economy, accountable to electorate politicians, aliens working there are legal and make a good living,......Mr. Moody as usual I do appreciate you honesty about how you feel about me. This is quite refreshing are you by any chance of German descent? Tell me does it bother you that you grandkids will be living in a developing country? This is were this great country is heading you know.
Posted By: mkbenenson Re: Mystery Krag - 07/05/09 06:49 PM
I owned one of the Globe .308 Krags for a while but could not quite get up the nerve to shoot it, despite its Austrian proofmarks. Handsomely stocked but the metal finishing was not quite as nice. And I sold it with a warning !! .308 commercial ammo is loaded hotter than 7x57 or for that matter .30'06, and notwithstanding that Norwegian Krags are both better designed (with double albeit asymmetric locking lugs) and stronger metal than American, I think the .308 overdoes it. On reflection, I should have barreled it back to 6.5x55, but at the time that never occurred to me.
Posted By: gunner69skmc Re: Mystery Krag - 07/05/09 08:08 PM
I have four (4) 6.5x55 Rifles of various manufacture, and a Remington 700 6.5x55 rechambered to 6.5x284 Norma. Yes I do like 6.5mm rifles. The sectional density provided by this bullet is hard to beat, and no I am not out for Grisly Bear or Elephant.
Posted By: mkbenenson Re: Mystery Krag - 07/06/09 12:05 AM
I would not be surprised to learn that the 6.5x55 has killed more polar bears than any other cartridge - probably with hard point military ammunition out of unmodified issue Norse Krags and Swede Mausedrs.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com