doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Michael Petrov Alvin Linden - 10/13/08 06:06 PM
Everyone has heard of Alvin Linden, most likely the best known of the pre-war custom makers. Linden did not mark his work so there are many opportunities to find one of his rifles sold as an unknown.

The rifle below was made for his friend Art Vinje and is pictured in the Kennedy book on checkering.

Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Alvin Linden - 10/13/08 06:25 PM
Alvin Linden was capable of doing the finest work possible but now and then his inletting was less than perfect. After I wrote my first article on Linden I was taken to task by some guy named Jerry Fisher. He felt that I was a little hard on him and I should remember the harsh conditions that he had to work under. When Mr. Fisher returned home, being the nice guy that he is, he sent me a Linden buttstock made for a Farquharson pictured in Kennedy’s book page 3 for my collection. Now there is no way I’ll ever have a Farq that will fit the stock, should I make a lamp out of it?
Posted By: WJL Re: Alvin Linden - 10/13/08 06:40 PM
Handome rifle.

Is that scope really attached at the barrel, ring, and bridge?

Jerry Liles
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Alvin Linden - 10/13/08 06:46 PM
Originally Posted By: WJL
Handome rifle.

Is that scope really attached at the barrel, ring, and bridge?

Jerry Liles

Yes, It's a Weaver 330? something, Linden called this setup a brush-dodger, built so brush would not catch between the scope and the rifle.
Posted By: WJL Re: Alvin Linden - 10/13/08 10:29 PM
I just realized that I don't see provision for iron sights. Was this rifle setup for scope only? Seems like a rather early rifle to be scope only.

Speaking of Fisher, I've always liked his work. Any pictures or insights into his career.

Jerry Liles
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Alvin Linden - 10/14/08 01:22 AM
Originally Posted By: WJL
I just realized that I don't see provision for iron sights. Was this rifle setup for scope only? Seems like a rather early rifle to be scope only.

Speaking of Fisher, I've always liked his work. Any pictures or insights into his career.

Jerry Liles

Scope sight only and yes, it’s very unusual for a pre-war sporter not to have irons.

I like Jerry Fisher a lot, he as well as other custom makers have been very supportive of my work and has encouraged me along the way. I like his work and love the little round bottom 98 Mauser that, I think, is in SDH’s book. I have about worn the checking off of it having picked it up at every show he brings it to. If Steve can't post a picture of this rifle I will.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Alvin Linden - 10/14/08 01:23 AM
A Linden-Newton I found at a gunshow, the dealer was selling a collection of Newton rifles. I picked this one up and ask “Why So Cheap” he said it was plain to see that someone has screwed up a perfectly good Newton. This rifle is a 30-06 with parabolic rifling. I tried for several years to get it to shoot with little luck. The floorplate is hinged to the forward action screw. One day I dropped down the floorplate and forced one more turn, and I mean forced, shoots sub-moa now.

Just the opposite of the other Linden rifle this owner liked sights. It has a King reflective front sight (the one with the little mirror) an open barrel sight, a receiver sight with a Merit adjustable disk and a Niedner side-mount with a Hensoldt scope, the scope has fine cross wire and dot. I was surprised to see the Newton bolt peep had been removed and the slot filled.

Posted By: Kutter Re: Alvin Linden - 10/14/08 02:09 PM
That 'scope on the '03 certainly doesn't look like it'll be going anywhere soon! I've seen pics of that style front mount before,,was probably another Linden rifle or some other that copied the mounting.
Do you think Linden removed the striker knob also? Or did he have Emil Kolochak(sp?) do that type of metal work for him.
Great looking stock for sure.
I do like that Newton though!
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Alvin Linden - 10/14/08 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Kutter
That 'scope on the '03 certainly doesn't look like it'll be going anywhere soon! I've seen pics of that style front mount before,,was probably another Linden rifle or some other that copied the mounting.
Do you think Linden removed the striker knob also? Or did he have Emil Kolochak(sp?) do that type of metal work for him.
Great looking stock for sure.
I do like that Newton though!

I believe that Emil Koshollek made the buttplate and grip cap on this rife as well as modify the bolt and checker it. The rifle is a 1903 National Match with a headless cocking piece and a reverse safety. They were built that way so the shooter was not hit in the nose while shooting prone.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Alvin Linden - 10/14/08 09:43 PM
Mike,
The only pix of Fisher's round-body '06 I have are in Custom Rifles. I do have photos of a single shot FN Mauser (.220 Swift) that was kind of the inspiration. I'll start a new thread with them.
BTW, Jerry's '06 seems full-size to a guy like me and not "little" at all!

The bottom metal on that Newton sure is complex, never seen the like...
Funny about the accuracy.
Best,
Steve
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Alvin Linden - 10/14/08 10:54 PM
Steve,

I looked through my stuff and have the Fisher flier "When Less Is More" that you took the pictures for. If needed I could scan and post on the new thread.

The Newton floor plate drops down, you then unscrew that screw and the barrel and action lift up at the back out of a hook arraignment. It's a take-down thing without tools.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Alvin Linden - 10/14/08 11:07 PM
One of the more famous Linden rifles belonged to Townsend Whelen. This rifle turned up last month and was one of the last of his rifles I have an interest in that I did not know the whereabouts of.

Posted By: eightbore Re: Alvin Linden - 10/14/08 11:09 PM
MP, describe "Turned up". Thank you.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Alvin Linden - 10/14/08 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
MP, describe "Turned up". Thank you.

I got an email with pictures from an individual asking me if I could identify the maker of the rifle. I could and I did.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Alvin Linden - 10/15/08 12:15 AM
Congratulations.
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Alvin Linden - 10/15/08 01:23 AM
I’d like to expand on this a bit. I am contacted by mail, phone and email by folks who are trying to identify the maker of a classic custom rifle. There is nothing more rewarding than to be able to connect the maker with a rifle. I charge nothing for this service but do benefit in learning about new and wonderful things. I do not withhold any information and if the rifle belonged to a well-known person I pass that along as well. I do this for whoever ask, even dealers. I do not offer to buy the rifle with the exception of rifles that are for sale when the buyer cannot make up his mind if he should buy it or not. In cases like this I tell them if you buy the rifle on my advice and don’t like it I will buy it from you, normally for more than they paid for it. Sometimes that all it takes for the buyer to realize that it might be a good deal.
Posted By: mkbenenson Re: Alvin Linden - 10/15/08 04:20 AM
A good many years ago before I got into Krag sporters an Alvin Linden Krag still as I recall with the 30" barrel was advertised in Shotgun News. Wonder where it is now and hope the barrel has not been shortened.
Posted By: waterman Re: Alvin Linden - 10/15/08 04:57 AM
Is that a Stith telescope mount on the 03?
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Alvin Linden - 10/15/08 05:08 AM
Originally Posted By: waterman
Is that a Stith telescope mount on the 03?

The mount directly over the front receiver was made by “Albree”.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=oKdWAAAAEBAJ&dq=Albree+scope+mount
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Alvin Linden - 10/15/08 05:17 PM
With thanks to Townsend Whelen Bowling I am able to share this picture with you of the Linden rifle. From the back of the photo "Birchie in front of Cabin. Jackman, Me 1934".

Posted By: WJL Re: Alvin Linden - 10/15/08 06:20 PM
Any chance of getting a better picture of the rifle? I'm interested in a better look at the bolt handle. Looks like another beautiful rifle and a handsome looking setter - really needs a good double barrel in the picture.

Jerry Liles
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Alvin Linden - 10/15/08 06:52 PM
Jerry,

I don’t have permission of the current owner to post his pictures, the bolt knob is out of focus anyway. The bolt knob has a four panel checkering pattern with a sunburst at the end.

This rifle is discussed in detail in "Mister Rifleman" by Townsend Whelen and Bradford Angier.
Posted By: texraid Re: Alvin Linden - 10/16/08 03:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
I’d like to expand on this a bit. I am contacted by mail, phone and email by folks who are trying to identify the maker of a classic custom rifle. There is nothing more rewarding than to be able to connect the maker with a rifle. I charge nothing for this service but do benefit in learning about new and wonderful things. I do not withhold any information and if the rifle belonged to a well-known person I pass that along as well. I do this for whoever ask, even dealers. I do not offer to buy the rifle with the exception of rifles that are for sale when the buyer cannot make up his mind if he should buy it or not. In cases like this I tell them if you buy the rifle on my advice and don’t like it I will buy it from you, normally for more than they paid for it. Sometimes that all it takes for the buyer to realize that it might be a good deal.

And Mike, I for one, would like to express appreciation for that. I have personally learned a great deal from your posts, your book, and our various exchanges.
Art
Posted By: bay Re: Alvin Linden - 10/16/08 02:57 PM
I’d like to also Thank MP for helping me on a couple of occasions with a Sedgley and Niedner, providing his opinion and thoughts. His book was a wonderful resource and now this new forum with more knowledge than anything out there.

Thanks Dave W, MP & other members for sharing your knowledge. It has sort of rejuvenated the subject for me........good or bad, it depends if it’s my view or the wife’s view. :-)

Can’t wait for the next book of articles!

Thx,
-brian
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: Alvin Linden - 10/16/08 06:22 PM
What Brian and Art just said, and plenty of it!
Regards, Joe
Posted By: FITZ Re: Alvin Linden - 01/06/09 12:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
A Linden-Newton I found at a gunshow, the dealer was selling a collection of Newton rifles. I picked this one up and ask “Why So Cheap” he said it was plain to see that someone has screwed up a perfectly good Newton. This rifle is a 30-06 with parabolic rifling. I tried for several years to get it to shoot with little luck. The floorplate is hinged to the forward action screw. One day I dropped down the floorplate and forced one more turn, and I mean forced, shoots sub-moa now.

Just the opposite of the other Linden rifle this owner liked sights. It has a King reflective front sight (the one with the little mirror) an open barrel sight, a receiver sight with a Merit adjustable disk and a Niedner side-mount with a Hensoldt scope, the scope has fine cross wire and dot. I was surprised to see the Newton bolt peep had been removed and the slot filled.

Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Alvin Linden - 01/06/09 05:53 AM
Fitz....Did you have a question ;-)?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com