doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: MickeyD Book on Early Double Rifles - 06/18/08 03:32 PM
Can anyone recommend a book on early English double rifles that includes pre 1900 rifles made by John Dickson and Sons esp Hammerguns with Jones underlever.
Posted By: PM Re: Book on Early Double Rifles - 06/28/08 01:58 AM
I don't think there is really a book on black powder double rifles. A full set of the DGJ will certainly provide a number of good articles. The Big Bore Rifle by McIntosh has a section or so as well as Shooting the Britsh Double Rifle. Books on Holland , Purdey and Greener will have some info on their guns. I can't think of a book solely devoted to pre 1900 underlever guns, if someone knows of one I would like to buy a copy myself.
Posted By: CptCurl Re: Book on Early Double Rifles - 06/30/08 02:46 AM
Go to NitroExpress.com and read their double rifle forum. There is a wealth of knowledge there.

My comment isn't meant to take anything from the wisdom of this board.

Curl
Posted By: PM Re: Book on Early Double Rifles - 06/30/08 03:19 PM
Curl,
I am in agreement with you but it is too bad there is not a book devoted to these rifles. It seems most of the knowledge is passed from collector to collector or gleaned from ones own experience collecting, shooting and reloading the guns themselves.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Book on Early Double Rifles - 09/15/08 03:09 PM
I bought a copy of Donald Dallas' new book on British guns and rifles 1850-1900 a few weeks back when I was at Purdey's in London. It has a good deal of pre-1900 double rifle info. I think that Gunnerman's Books probably has it USA now. It cost 60 Pounds, so I expect it to be around $100. in USA.
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Book on Early Double Rifles - 10/05/08 02:03 AM
$73.00 at Amazon.com
Posted By: PM Re: Book on Early Double Rifles - 10/05/08 02:28 AM
I just received a copy and it looks to be well worth the price.
Thanks Bushveld.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com