doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: MikeCAV Kentucky rifle ID - 09/30/05 05:13 AM
I have 2 Kentucky rifles that I can not identify. I was hoping that someone could help.
1. Is a percussion conversion with the barrel marked "Morse & Haskill Painesville O."
2. Percussion double set trigger marked "Pennsylvania Gun Works" on the sideplate; and several stars on the top of the barrel at muzzle and breech. Thanks, Mike
Posted By: Doug Miller Re: Kentucky rifle ID - 09/30/05 05:43 AM
The only Morse I can find in Ohio is Christopher Morse of Painesville 1847 - 1853. In 1850 he had one employee.

Gardner lists two possibilities; Pennsylvania Rifle Works of Philadelphia, G Dunlap proprietor, date unknown but makers of percussion rifles

Pennsylvania State Gun Factory established in 1776 - 1778 which means if they made your gun it would have to be a converted flintlock.

cheers Doug
Posted By: Carl Regier Re: Kentucky rifle ID - 09/30/05 06:21 PM
I'm guessing Penn GW is the maker of the locks. The gun itself could have been made elsewhere, possibly in a one-man shop. The maker, if identified, was usually marked on the barrels or top rib.
Posted By: MikeCAV Re: Kentucky rifle ID - 10/02/05 04:52 AM
The sideplate does say Pennsylvania Rifle Works. The only other thing on the barrel is a row of stars at the breech, and going up the top to the sight base.
I have no idea of value but I belive the wood to be original on both and both actions work fine.
I simply appreciate them for their condition, and most of all history. Thanks for your information, it has been the only I have been able to find. Mike.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Kentucky rifle ID - 10/03/05 02:21 PM
I cannot help directly, but you might also try posting at
http://www.americanlongrifles.com/american-longrifles-BBS-frame.htm

Seems to be a lot of very knowledgeable collectors and historians there.

Brent
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: Kentucky rifle ID - 10/05/05 04:54 AM
Christopher Morse & Riley Haskill made percussion rifles in Painesville Ohio, they were in business together from 1861-1865.

Pennsylvania Gun Works does not show up in any of my common reference books.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com