doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: JAZ Bore Rifle and Paradox loading database - 02/06/05 04:41 AM
I have often thought that there really isn't a point of collection for our own individual loading data for double rifles, especially Bore rifles and Ball and Shot guns. Collectively this could be useful information for many which can bypass days at the range and add some safety as well. Is there interest in sharing our results?? This can be done with a simple speadsheet to be built upon. Graehme Wrights book is about the best I have seen. If there is another in existence, let me know.
John
John.....There is a growing interest in modern 12 and 20 bore guns. My friend, Dr. Charlie Sharps has just had articles in "the Single Shot Exchange" and TC's "One Good Shot". He is shooting both BP and smokeless.
My company, Dixie Slugs, has just bought another mold.....20 bore Wesley Richards. Although our major products comprise of loaded ammo for modern firearms with rifled barrels.....all is a takeoff of the original paradox type bullet/slugs. We do have a line of slug/bullets for 12 bore and now 20 bore, with another 20 bore mold in two months.
Now for a data base.......First, there is no relationship in powder charges between shot and a single slug. When a shot load is fired, the shot load expands against the sidewalls......much like a "plug" effect.....where the slug/bullet reacts like a "piston"
So.....I would not trust any smokeless powder load to be put into a data base unless it had been tested in a pressure gun! All out loads have been tested at $5.00 a shot with a min of 5 shots for record.
Of course this only applies to smokeless, as there are ample records for BP.....James@Dixie Slugs
Posted By: max Re: Bore Rifle and Paradox loading database - 02/08/05 08:39 PM
Dixieslugs,

I own a 12 bore H & H paradox, nitro proofed for magnum loads. Bore 0, behind chokes .740
Minor 0, at muzzle .702, Groove 0, at muzzle approximately .715. Proofed for cordite powder. I will have to get back to you as to the powder weight.

Could you work up some loaded ammo for me?

Regards,

Max
Max.......I am sorry for the time getting back to you, but It seems this board oes not let us know when a post is answered????????
There is a chance my people can help you but we would need some more info.
(1)Any loads we build would have to be in plastic cases with a rolled crimp.
(2)We would need to know the actual chamber length (opened hull)
(3)We have an alloy that we use for this type of firearm (when available)that is 90% pure lead and 10% tin. We have a small amount at present.
(4)We use Alliant Blue Dot or Steel for these guns, plus pure cork wads, etc.
(5)We would need two precise measurements....The bore behind the rifled portion and the grooves & lands. Our best slug measures .730" and weighs 730 grs as was the original.
Additional Comments: The original blackpowder velocity was 1000'/" and the Cordite load was 1200'/". We have a load with Blue Dot that will match the 1200'/" that has been tested for pressure/velocity by Ballistic Research.
You may contact me at jcgates@bellsouth.net
Regards, James
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com