doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Richard Saloom What exactly do the makings mean? - 02/28/23 02:53 AM
I have had a Westley Richards double rifle for several years stashed in one of my gun safes. I bought it used from Westley Richards in the US as a 450-400 3". I shot it with the rounds appropriate to it--no problems. Now I have started thinking about taking it to Africa.

The questions start. The barrel markings are, "400/35/400 cartridge." Nowhere does 450/400 appear. The spent cartridges and a chamber cast confirm 450/400. The barrel flats have British proofs and," Cordite 55-400 Max." What do you make of this? I am concerned that if going through customs in some African country, a problem could occur with cartridges not matching gun. Africa would be in 2024 so no great rush. Multiple other guns available.
Posted By: Parabola Re: What exactly do the makings mean? - 02/28/23 10:15 AM
The “400/35/400 cartridge “ marking is puzzling. Does it appear to have been applied by Westley Richards or later?

If time is not of the essence a visit to a good engraver might be worth while so Customs officers can be sure that the rifle matches the ammunition,
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: What exactly do the makings mean? - 02/28/23 01:56 PM
I would contact Westly Richards with good quality photos for clarification.
Posted By: Richard Saloom Re: What exactly do the makings mean? - 02/28/23 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Parabola
The “400/35/400 cartridge “ marking is puzzling. Does it appear to have been applied by Westley Richards or later?

If time is not of the essence a visit to a good engraver might be worth while so Customs officers can be sure that the rifle matches the ammunition,

It looks to be similar to the other engraving on the barrel. I think that I am going to need to get examples of how WR marked their 450-400's and contact an engraver familiar with guns. I would hate to be held up/arrested at customs. Thanks!
Posted By: Richard Saloom Re: What exactly do the makings mean? - 02/28/23 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by prairie ghost
I would contact Westly Richards with good quality photos for clarification.

I bought it about 20 years ago and all the information from them. A few moves have spread many things around multiple boxes. I will have to give them a call. Thanks!
Posted By: HalfaDouble Re: What exactly do the makings mean? - 02/28/23 05:27 PM
I find the "35" to be the most confusing.
Posted By: SKB Re: What exactly do the makings mean? - 02/28/23 05:55 PM
I think the "35" is actually a 55.

400 bore/55 grains of cordite/ 400 grain bullet.
Posted By: Arctic Re: What exactly do the makings mean? - 02/28/23 08:46 PM
I agree, SKB, 55 and 60 appear to be common designations on all my 450/400's.
Posted By: HalfaDouble Re: What exactly do the makings mean? - 02/28/23 10:11 PM
That would make sense. My 3 1/4 is a 60. An easy restrike;-)
Posted By: Der Ami Re: What exactly do the makings mean? - 02/28/23 10:17 PM
Does anyone have a 450-400 2 3/8"? If so, does it take 35 grains of Cordite? Just wondering if the rifle had been re-chambered and regulated for the 3" version, bullet diameter differences, if any, not withstanding.
Mike
Posted By: Richard Saloom Re: What exactly do the makings mean? - 03/01/23 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by SKB
I think the "35" is actually a 55.

400 bore/55 grains of cordite/ 400 grain bullet.

I thought the same and looked under magnification--it is 35. Could it have been changed by an engraver?

I have put in a request with Westley Richards for the gun's history. The serial number puts it in the 1905-1915 range.

No reproof markings.

Der Ami, where are you located in Alabama? I am between Auburn and Lagrange, GA.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: What exactly do the makings mean? - 03/01/23 04:15 PM
Richard Saloom,
I am between Auburn and Lagrange. If you don't travel by interstate, between the two, you almost have to go through my town. PM me.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: What exactly do the makings mean? - 04/25/23 01:44 AM
Whether you need to be concerned about passing through customs in Africa depends on which country you plan to hunt in. If you are talking to a PH or safari outfitter - ask him.

I took two rifles to Tanzania last fall and cruised through customs with no problem. Opt for the VIP service for a couple hundred dollars and relax.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: What exactly do the makings mean? - 05/04/23 08:41 PM
Call Champlin Firearms in Oklahoma. They will get you sorted out.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com