doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Story Haenel Mannlicher bolt extension? - 07/20/07 05:07 PM

This is mounted on a pre-1912 Haenel-made Mannlicher "New Model" 7.92 (.318) x 57 sporter.

Has anyone EVER seen a similar modification or even know it's purpose?
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Haenel Mannlicher bolt extension? - 07/20/07 05:20 PM
An alteration added by someone with very short hands? Perhaps an accident to the fingers prevented full extension to reach the bolt handle.
Posted By: Story Re: Haenel Mannlicher bolt extension? - 07/20/07 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: ChiefShotguns
An alteration added by someone with very short hands? Perhaps an accident to the fingers prevented full extension to reach the bolt handle.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to taint the jury. The L.O.P. seems normal.

Given the size of the bolt, it's natural to grasp it with the index and middle finger - or perhaps the two prongs of an antique artificial hand. See;
http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/consumer_product_guidelines/consumer.pcs/i5a.gif
Posted By: Paul Miles Re: Haenel Mannlicher bolt extension? - 08/09/07 09:32 AM
Possibly it's to allow recycling without raising your head or reaching forward for the handle when hunting dangerous game. A well-known Australian gunwriter once suggested lopping 4 inches off the butt of the Mauser 66 if you want to use it for anything serious.
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Haenel Mannlicher bolt extension? - 08/09/07 01:44 PM
Well, if a "gunwriter" wrote it, it's considered gospel. Right??? Sounds a bit off to me, but then I'm no gunwriter.
Posted By: Paul Miles Re: Haenel Mannlicher bolt extension? - 09/18/08 11:52 AM
Thank God for that.
Posted By: Brian Re: Haenel Mannlicher bolt extension? - 09/25/08 12:05 PM
It appears to me anyway that the bolt as shown was meant to be folded out and provide a longer straight handle, not a rearward extension. why else would it pivot?

Possible for someone with weak arms or other ailment that precludes normal bolt manipulation.
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Haenel Mannlicher bolt extension? - 09/25/08 06:19 PM
You may be right Brian, but it looks as if it is "pinned" to prevent pivoting. If it pivots outward, the bolt knob would be offset to the front side, which doesn't seem right.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Haenel Mannlicher bolt extension? - 10/02/08 02:52 PM
Perhaps a DST was removed from the rifle and converted to single trigger also. They were available with a single trigger but this may not be a factory one. Hard for me to tell,,so little info available on them. A single trigger would be easier and less complicated to maniplulate for someone that has an ailment or disfigurement to the hand. Mannlicher New Models are nice rifles. What ever the bolt handle modifictions intent, it probably served it purpose and it didn't do any great damage to the rifle. Putting it back to factory condition wouldn't take much. Filling the hole(s) in the handle and blending the surface in. The trigger, if it is a conversion looks fine.
Posted By: Story Re: Haenel Mannlicher bolt extension? - 01/31/10 11:12 PM
Sorry for the 15 month delay, I lost track of this post.

1. I never said the bolt extension pivoted. It is, in fact, fixed in the rearward position.

2. The bolt handle knob is in the same relative position at the 98 Mauser or 03 Springfield. Occam's Razor would dictate that the extension was added as a concession to 'muscle memory'.

3. Kutter : the single trigger as part of a disability compensation is interesting. The trigger plate/trigger assembly is *not* interchangeable with a Haenel double trigger (I tried). I can take some pics, if this will help tell the difference between stock and aftermarket.

4. The rifle will stay in it's current configuration, as long as I own it. It's quite comfortable, very fast to work and accurate to boot.

5. Only the muzzle is .318, from the chamber forward for a significant distance it's .323.
Posted By: mkbenenson Re: Haenel Mannlicher bolt extension? - 02/12/10 07:38 AM
Had a Mannlicher Schoenauer 7mm a few years ago with similar extension, but very neatly welded on, could not tell it was not made that way. Obviously done to ease bolt manipulation, M/S are totally incapable of rapid fire and the flat bolt handles don't help either. The same rifle is now being offered for sale by Rock Island Auction Company, lot 361, February 27-28 Regional Sale. Photo in catalog. Nicely custom stocked too. Have no idea where it has been the last four or five years.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/photos/1014/p_standard/QGM12-C-F2-L.jpg
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com