doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: dukxdog First Double - 03/17/20 02:02 PM
Just bought a Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4". Was looking for a 450 for awhile and this one came up. Weighs 10.5#. Says "Expressly made for Lyon & Lyon, Calcutta". I thought that was interesting.

Posted By: bushveld Re: First Double - 03/17/20 05:16 PM
Congratulations, she looks like a winner. Please take photo of the top lever works and foresight and proof marks for us double rifle lovers. The rifle you have and many others like it were the fail safe work horses of the bush in Africa and India.

Even though the barrels have been re-blacked the engraving is till sharp, are the barrel bores in similar good condition.

The Westley's and Jefferies DR made for Lyon are sought after.

Consider if you should shoot solid projectiles through the barrels, until you are certain that the barrels can tolerate the "stretch"

Kindest Regards;
Stephen
Posted By: Dutch44 Re: First Double - 03/20/20 01:02 AM
Congrats on a true working double. I would listen to Bushveld concerning the solid. You may want to try CEB #13's solids as they worked perfect in my .450.
Posted By: old colonel Re: First Double - 03/25/20 01:02 AM
I found “Shooting the British Double Rifle” by Graeme Wright is a must for understanding loading and shooting double rifles. It contains a good discussion of solids.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com