doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: pamtnman Modern sights on original British sxs rifle - 07/22/19 03:24 PM
My eyes are not what they were, and this 1909 Lancaster sxs rifle has the classic thin platinum line on the rear sight and a space where a platinum bead had resided in the front. I want to be able to shoot this gun accurately, and I have struggled. Any suggestions based on experience for incorporating modern sights, like fiber optic material, into these classic sights without damaging them or altering them in a way that diminishes their originality are most welcome
Thank you, guys
Posted By: SKB Re: Modern sights on original British sxs rifle - 07/22/19 03:30 PM
A base plate can be made and fit to the original dovetail slot. The plate can then be machined to accept modern scope rings and whatever type of sight you like utilized, fiber optic, low power scope etc. The original sight is then retained for future re-installation and no modifications are done to the rifle itself.

Steve
This is correct. Thanks, Steve. The rear sight has the usual flip up leaves for different yardages, and a pretty wide base. But it will be easy to cut and fit a replacement. The front will be a challenge. It is one of those small, thin, carefully filed beads on an angled ramp, dovetailed lengthwise into another rectangular ramp, that itself is then dovetailed into a larger oval ramp fitted between the two barrels and probably brazed on...gracious, the craftsmanship that went into the British rifles....probably more in this one front sight than in an entire modern rifle.
Posted By: SKB Re: Modern sights on original British sxs rifle - 07/22/19 03:54 PM
Why change anything on the front iron sight? Just leave it as is.
Originally Posted By: SKB
Why change anything on the front iron sight? Just leave it as is.

Because the platinum bead is gone and the various substitutes for it in its tiny cavity - white paint, pink nail polish - are just not visible enough.
Posted By: SKB Re: Modern sights on original British sxs rifle - 07/22/19 04:39 PM
You will not be using the front sight with a fiber optic sight. To repair your existing front bead speak to an engraver. I need to have some platinum inlaid on an upcoming project and my engraver is going to do a similar project for me on a Rigby sight.
The platinum beads on some other rifles around here ain't cuttin' either. But this gun is missing its platinum bead and so I have been experimenting with various colors of nail polish. Red used to work for me in my youth, but I guess in my dotage my tastes and appreciation for appearances have changed. My wife doesn't care; she probably gave up
Posted By: SKB Re: Modern sights on original British sxs rifle - 07/22/19 05:34 PM
OK we were speaking different type of Fiber optic sights. You want Iron sights you can see not a FO tube type of sight. I did not understand that from your posts as most guys in this situation are switching to tube sights. Then what you need is a custom front sight set up to take fiber optic inserts. I played with these a few years back on a modern muzzleloader. Going to cost a few bucks but it will work fine. Not very durable though. I kept breaking them. Just carry extra and a lighter in your pack.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/...ent=080-000-729
A few years ago I struggled with this same challenge with a modern Winchester 1894, and my son's Ruger M77 .357 bolt rifle. Terrible sights need help. Some can be helped, some need to be replaced. Thanks for your help, Steve.
By the way, your updated website looks great, Steve
Posted By: SKB Re: Modern sights on original British sxs rifle - 07/22/19 11:25 PM
Thanks, I'm just finishing up some restoration work which I am going to add to the website. A Webley 1902 falling block and a Fraser bolt gun.
While you are shopping for bright metal inlay for a sight leaf or for a front sight bead, consider the distinct possibility that the bright metal that is or was there is Fine Silver, basically pure (not alloyed) silver.

Fine Silver (unlike Sterling Silver) doesn't tarnish, and it is far more ductile than platinum and it takes a very bright polish. Also if it needs to be brazed (silver soldered - high temperature), for instance a bead on to a front sight blade, the metalsmith will be using silver alloy as a filler metal to make the joint. Brazing platinum is tricky and the material is susceptible to contamination in the brazing process.
Originally Posted By: Tinker
While you are shopping for bright metal inlay for a sight leaf or for a front sight bead, consider the distinct possibility that the bright metal that is or was there is Fine Silver, basically pure (not alloyed) silver.

Fine Silver (unlike Sterling Silver) doesn't tarnish, and it is far more ductile than platinum and it takes a very bright polish. Also if it needs to be brazed (silver soldered - high temperature), for instance a bead on to a front sight blade, the metalsmith will be using silver alloy as a filler metal to make the joint. Brazing platinum is tricky and the material is susceptible to contamination in the brazing process.

Thank you, Tinker, I do appreciate your expertise on this. Most if not all of the barrel sights on British double rifles I own or have handled are platinum, whether a thin line or a bead, but I will definitely keep this in mind.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com