doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Story .311 monolithics? - 06/24/07 02:09 AM
Greetings,
Why does no one offer a monolithic type projectile for the .303 British?
Or am I missing something?
Story
Posted By: Anonymous Re: .311 monolithics? - 07/04/07 03:56 PM
While the 303 is a popular round all over the world, including Africa, Canada, and the U.S.A., Im going to guess the answer has to do with what it is used for and not used for by those who own it. That is, there are many bullets in .311dia very suitable for deer, elk and moose. So why would a solid be needed, especially when many 303 owners pocess other rifles for more specific tasks?

I own a sporterized SMLE and it has become my main deer rifle, but if I were to go on a more serious hunt I would take a different rifle. If I were to use it for smaller game than deer I would use cast bullets.

What did you have in mind?

Best,
Kurt
Posted By: PeteM Re: .311 monolithics? - 07/05/07 01:53 AM
What uses a .311 bullet? The 303 Enfield, the 7.7mm Japanese and the 7.65x53mm Argentine. All of these are military rifles. Which automatically makes it illegal in many countries, eg, France.

Even Woodleigh does not offer a solid in this caliber. A solid is meant for deep penetration on dangerous game. The .311 would not be legal throughout most of Africa today for dangerous game, simply because it does not develop enough energy.

Patterson shot lions with it, only because he had no other choice at the time. It is not the round I would want for such activity today.

If there was demand, then the bullet makers would produce it.

Pete
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: .311 monolithics? - 07/09/07 02:53 AM
Sorry, but modern pachyderm hunters don't use .303.
Posted By: SKB Re: .311 monolithics? - 07/09/07 02:10 PM
Tis a very North American viewpoint stated so far. Having recently returned from New Zealand where I heard the statement "the .303 has accounted for more head of African game than any other cartridge & possibly more than all the others combined" I think I hear what your saying. I would agree with the earlier posters saying its not for the big 5, but also think it is capable of larger animals, up to say Eland. A good solid would be a nice choice were you to be wanting deep penatration. I cant say I know a source of them. I have a .303 on a small frame Gibbs Farkey, great round still today.
Steve
Posted By: BIG AL Re: .311 monolithics? - 07/10/07 05:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Story
Greetings,
Why does no one offer a monolithic type projectile for the .303 British?
Or am I missing something?
Story

Seeing as how we can't offer you much help, why not try these folks. A search and a long look/see might help before you try to join (good luck with that).

Nitroexpress
Posted By: Carl Regier Re: .311 monolithics? - 07/14/07 04:13 AM
At .303 velocities, would not a 180 gr. full metal jacket military style round offer as much penetration as a monolithic solid? S&B, Wolf, and probably others load them, and they sell for about $15/box.
Posted By: Story Re: .311 monolithics? - 07/20/07 05:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Carl Regier
At .303 velocities, would not a 180 gr. full metal jacket military style round offer as much penetration as a monolithic solid? S&B, Wolf, and probably others load them, and they sell for about $15/box.

I did some further research, and the .303 AP rounds W/W1Z would serve that purpose.
I just wondered if something pre-dated the first issue of AP in 1915, that would have seen sporting use.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com