doublegunshop.com - home
What was the most common load for a 12 bore double pistol that some used to carry as 'last chance weapon' in the good old days?

Also what was the muzzle velocity?
Posted By: PM Re: Loads for double "shikar"/"howdah" pistols. - 11/03/14 04:13 AM
I would think the configuration to be so rare as to not have a standard loading. I would guess 3.5 to 5 drams.
Thank you very much for your opinion, PM.

I've met with mentions of three such guns in African books. The suggested use was life protection in case of a lion or leopard charge. I haven't met a description of an actual use of such a handgun in a life-threatening situation, though.

5 drams seem to be a bit too much for a single-hand weapon; besides, wouldn't such charge of black powder not burn completely in such a short barrel?

I also wonder whether the velocity, provided the charge is light enough to ensure accurate shooting, was high enough to make the gun powerful enough for intended purpose.
Posted By: PM Re: Loads for double "shikar"/"howdah" pistols. - 11/04/14 02:47 AM
Aiming and accuracy at point blank range? Remember "Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" or when wrestling any big cat.
I kick myself for not bidding on a pair of muzzle loading 12 bore pistols a few years back.
You're right. Yet, Swayne in "17 trips through Somaliland" writes about shooting a hyena with the pistol at what looks like 25 to 50 yards from the description, breaking the beast's back with the second shot. That would indicate some degree of accuracy, and less than wristbreaking recoil, wouldnt it?
Posted By: PM Re: Loads for double "shikar"/"howdah" pistols. - 11/04/14 05:20 AM
A 3.5 lb Freedom Arms 454 Casul revolver firing a 325gr bullet at 1700fps should be in the same realm recoil wise as a 4.5 to 5 lb 12 bore Howdah firing a 600gr ball at 8-900fps a 3.5 to 4 dram load. No?
That makes sense.
Quote:
A 3.5 lb Freedom Arms 454 Casul revolver firing a 325gr bullet at 1700fps should be in the same realm recoil wise as a 4.5 to 5 lb 12 bore Howdah firing a 600gr ball at 8-900fps a 3.5 to 4 dram load. No?

I can verify that they both will make your elbows hurt! smile
My experience with black powder in muzzle loading shotguns is that heavy loads mostly produce more flame beyond the muzzle. With a 14 inch barrel it's just going to be worse.

Folks shooting the Pedersoli reproductions (20 gauge or 50 cal)on another board report significant recoil. Don't know what they are actually loading, but DP recommends 25 grs with a 35 gr max.
Posted By: PM Re: Loads for double "shikar"/"howdah" pistols. - 11/18/14 05:57 PM
The 577 Snider was a popular chambering for "howdah" pistols. 3 drams black (80grs) and a 450gr bullet.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com