doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: xs hedspace 45-100 DR on a Merkel - 01/29/14 07:02 PM
Ok, now that I found the photobucket from 2006, here's the DR I built. Now I know why DRs cost so much. Merkel original stock, with some cleanup/finish. 350 gr RN at 2350 fps is the regulation load, and doesn't stretch cases.
Posted By: xs hedspace Re: 45-100 DR on a Merkel - 01/29/14 07:05 PM
Assembly:
Before soldering/brazing, parts laid in place.
Ruger scope notches/dovetails later cut into quarter rib.
45-100 case next to a 45-70
sling swivel block is silver brazed to both barrels, front sight block brazed to rt. barrel only
Posted By: xs hedspace Re: 45-100 DR on a Merkel - 01/29/14 07:07 PM
Gentleman's carry case:
Oh, and thanks to Mr. Ellis Brown for the great book on how to build this.
Posted By: 577CO Re: 45-100 DR on a Merkel - 02/09/14 12:57 AM
Nice job!!, and Ellis is the man for his book..I am having a 45-120 built this summer by another smith. You will find many don't like these American calibers, but it is supposed to be fun and interesting. If its not, stay home
Posted By: Birdhunter56 Re: 45-100 DR on a Merkel - 02/09/14 02:17 PM
A very nice project gun indeed! I appreciate your putting on the Merkel method of barrel adjustment, I had asked a question about this very thing on another site and did not get even one satisfactory answer. I also am very impressed with your molded to-fit-gun case. Did you do that work yourself and what is the base that was used,was it dense foam?
Have you noticed any shifting of the points of impact during temperature changes or when the barrels get hot? Thanks again for sharing this great gun with us. I am getting ready to build a 45-120 on a Merkel frame. I may need some good advice from you. birdhunter56
Posted By: xs hedspace Re: 45-100 DR on a Merkel - 02/12/14 03:45 PM
The case has dense foam insulation board, from a roof insulation job, with green felt glued with craft glue, also dyed green with food dye, so bleed thru doesn't show. Won a turkey at a local gun club running deer event, two shots as the deer target rolled down the wire. Also holds the club record for the fastest two shots, another time as my finger slipped to the second trigger--second shot into the trees--no turkey that time.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com