doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Krakow Kid Double Criss-Cross - 09/22/12 02:37 AM
If you had a load that gave you a 2 inch group at 50 yards but was the result of left and right barrels crossing, how much would that bother you in the real world, i.e. a hunting situation?
Posted By: PM Re: Double Criss-Cross - 09/22/12 03:01 AM
I would want a load that shot appropriately. What if the only shot that presented itself was at 92yds and a second shot necessary at 114yds. With only seconds to think, where would you hold?
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: Double Criss-Cross - 09/22/12 05:15 AM
If they're crossing then slow them down a bit.

You always want the right on the right and the left on the left.
Posted By: Humpty Dumpty Re: Double Criss-Cross - 09/29/12 10:28 AM
I'd try it at 100 first.
Posted By: MEE Re: Double Criss-Cross - 10/02/12 12:32 AM
You did not state if this is a double rifle or a shotgun. I am guessing it is a rifle, as stated above-slow it down. At some point it will come around. Just a matter of finding the sweet spot.If velocity change don't do it you will need to try a different bullet weight.To sum it up lower velocity tends to spread apart and higher velocities tend to cross.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Double Criss-Cross - 10/03/12 06:23 AM
MEE - I figured mention of the "2 inch group at 50 yards" would indicate a double rifle.

Roger on that slowing down. I'm going to also try heavier bullets, as you mention.
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: Double Criss-Cross - 10/03/12 05:00 PM
Useful to know, KK, the caliber of your double and the weight of bullet and brand of powder you are using. Lots of parameters engaged on slower vs faster powders, (quite apart from loading density); on weight of bullet the barrels were initially regulated for (should be stamped among the proof marks) and the rule of 3/4 for trying lower bullet weights.

Another key question is how you are holding the rifle from the bench as you basically need to hold it much as you'd shoot it in the field (which is why the Brits use benches you stand at to regulate doubles).

None of it is rocket science, but do need to go through the process for best accuracy and velocity combination.

Yes, you for sure need to see how it prints at 100, but I'd guess you'll see a crossing composite group of about 5 inches...

Regards,
Tim
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com