doublegunshop.com - home
Hello all, I am new here and am interested in bore/gauge guns and rifles, specifically 10-Bore and bigger. I do not own one, but it has been a dream of mine to own and/or shoot one of these bone crushers for quite some time. Maybe someday. I was wondering if anyone here owned a H&H or Greener 8-Bore, specifically ball guns? I would like to know about these rifles from people who own them and shoot them. I have read much about them in Greener's 'The Gun and Its Development', 'Holland and Holland: The Royal Gunmaker', also The Paradox gun book, and have researched them extensively over the years. If you have info, specifications like barrel length, charge in drams/grains, chamber length, year finished, etc. that would be great! If pictures can be posted that would be awesome as well.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: PM Re: Does anyone here own a H&H or Greener 8-Bore? - 09/23/12 05:42 AM
I have some good news for you. Cal Pappas has put together a book on bore rifles. Should be available in the next few weeks, lots of photos and specs.

You can contact Cal and ask questions thru his website too.

http://www.calpappas.com/index.html
Posted By: PM Re: Does anyone here own a H&H or Greener 8-Bore? - 09/24/12 08:25 AM
Hey AkMike,
Here is some big bore shooting south of AK.

PM,

Wow, what a wonderful Paradox! Is it an earlier one? Thank you for the book recomendation!

AkMike,

Thanks for the link.
PM,

Is that something like this? wink

That's a 4 bore!

The beast that kicks!
Everything from a 4 bore down to a 450 NE, a 9.3X74R and a 30-06.

Some of the old iron up here.

Posted By: PM Re: Does anyone here own a H&H or Greener 8-Bore? - 09/25/12 06:43 AM
Originally Posted By: AkMike1
PM,

Is that something like this? wink

That's a 4 bore!

Giving a single four to a newbie with a full power load!!! Does the cold help?

These single fours are capable of generating more than 200ftlbs of recoil!
Ahh the old days

Posted By: PM Re: Does anyone here own a H&H or Greener 8-Bore? - 09/25/12 06:46 AM
Some of the old iron up here.

An impressive array for sure....but... where are the rifled choke guns?!
That guy is hardly a newbie! He did quite well with it too.
IIRC none of those were choked SG's. Just rifles.
Posted By: PM Re: Does anyone here own a H&H or Greener 8-Bore? - 09/25/12 08:45 PM
That guy is hardly a newbie! He did quite well with it too.
IIRC none of those were choked SG's. Just rifles.

A little humor Mike. I know what guns are depicted although I know nothing of the shooter.
Ok, Got it!

That thing is a handfull!
Posted By: PM Re: Does anyone here own a H&H or Greener 8-Bore? - 09/26/12 03:48 AM
12 drams of black and 1700gr conical and a 17lb gun; = alot of recoil. I have a few shooting friends who pooh poohed blackpowder guns. These bore rifles are the real deal. They have more respect for them now.
PM - What book is that page from?

AkMike - I wanna move north!
LOL, You'll need a better compass to start with. From your area it's more west, northwest I'd say. wink
Yes sir, Northwest it is.

Boy, I've really got to get my shit together, I haven't even moved a foot towards Alaska and already I'm getting straightened out by a "native"!
I'm not a native. I've only been here for 45 years so far. But I guess that I do qualify as a 'sourdough'. laugh
Posted By: PM Re: Does anyone here own a H&H or Greener 8-Bore? - 09/28/12 07:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
PM - What book is that page from?

The Big Bore Rifle
by
Micheal McIntosh
Many Thanks, PM
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com